Recommendations for Diving in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TomGoodacre

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be visiting the Philippines at the beginning of January and have a week spare to do some diving.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best place(s) to dive? People have briefly mentioned Siquijor Island, Apo Island, El Nido and Coron Palawan and Bohol but haven't really commented much more than that. Any suggestions on good dive outfits?

Would also be great to hear people's experience of liveaboards in the Philippines. Only found a couple of places online.

Any hints or tips would be great! Thanks.

Tom

The Philippines Paradise Divers forum is very active, and will give you the answer to every question you have about diving there, and then some ...

Philippine Paradise Divers - ScubaBoard

... maybe a mod will catch this post and move it there for you.

Hi Tom,

For Puerto Galera in Mindoro check out Frontier Divers, Capt'n Greggs
For Bohol Genesis Divers
For Coron Busuanga Discovery Divers
For El Nido Palawan Divers
For Dumangete Atlantis Resort
For Apo Reef the "Apo Reef Club" in Mondoro or Dugong Dive Center in Busuanga
For Live aboard diving Scuba World expedition fleet.

All the best
Gunter

Hey Gunter, PI has really had a tough time lately haven't they. Typhoons and flooding!

Hey Gunter, PI has really had a tough time lately haven't they. Typhoons and flooding!

Yes, Manila was hit with heavy rain and floods. But this is very year the same it's our raining season. We should be out of this the next weeks. Here in Busuanga all is fine.

Best regards, Gunter

Cebu and Negros.

Fly into Cebu that's got an international airport or to Manilla and then to Cebu. Domestic flights in the country are not expensive.

1 Take the bus from Cebu city to Moalboal and go diving with Jesper and the guys at Neptune. You will probably find Pescadore Island to be the best dive you ever made. First mail him on info@neptunediving.com and let him know you're on your way.

2 Then you continue down south to Lilloan and Santander. There you visit Dennis in his resort Eden. You find it at Eden Resort - Your all inclusive, western standard, luxury hotel & resort in Liloan, Santander, Cebu, Philippines and the drift dives you can do in this area is absolutely fantastic. You can reach Dennis on dennis@mensa.se to make sure he knows you're coming.

3 Take the ferry over to Negros and spend at least one night in Dumaguete. There are a lot of places to stay in that place. It's a nice town where you can find all the things you can't when you're travelling around in the bush. Don't miss the café in the basement of Lee Plaza.

4 Take another ferry over to the fantastic Island of Siquihor. There you find a tricycle to take you to Kiwi Dive Resort. The most laid back place you're ever likely to visit. Make sure you note when you arrive because it's very easy to get lost in time and realize that you've been hanging around With Bruce and his lovely staff for a long time... kiwi@fil.net is his address.

Of course there are other places worth visiting in the visaya area like Bohol and Malapascua and in the end it boils down to how much time you’ve got and how keen you are on moving around/stay and relax. For the people with a higher demand for evening/night activities Boracay is a natural choice. There is not very god diving but plenty of places that offer dancing till sunrise.

Beside Visaya there are many islands with excellent diving. The wrecks around Coron for example is world class and not far behind the famous Truck Lagoon.

Enjoy

Samaka

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to Philippine Paradise Divers

Hi,

I'm going to be visiting the Philippines at the beginning of January and have a week spare to do some diving.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the best place(s) to dive? People have briefly mentioned Siquijor Island, Apo Island, El Nido and Coron Palawan and Bohol but haven't really commented much more than that. Any suggestions on good dive outfits?

Would also be great to hear people's experience of liveaboards in the Philippines. Only found a couple of places online.

Any hints or tips would be great! Thanks.

Tom
Hi tom,

Gunter had some good recos. Do a search here of the locales you mentioned and you'll find plenty of info that will allow you to pick and choose what will suit you best. Feel free to ask us specific questions. Out of the places you mentioned, Bohol offers a nice mix of diving.

For a week, I reco you stay in one place for the duration. For liveaboards, you can do Apo Reef as it is not the season for Tubbataha yet. Most diving in the PI is land based.

Hi Tom,

I can vouch for Discovery Divers in Coron which is Gunter's operation. I dived with him in September 2008 and had a great time. If you are into wrecks then you won't go wrong with Coron and Discovery Divers. I found him to be a very helpful and friendly guy and his knowledge of the wrecks there is very extensive. Japanese WWII freighters and warships.
There is also a thermal lake and a submerged cavern in Coron which adds to the interest.

Have also dived Apo Island which was great. Reef and fish life abundant. There is so much to see in the Philippines one trip wont be enough trust me. My second trip there begins in a week.. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom