Random thoughts on Moalboal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kevinl4270

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The best tips I have to offer for any trip to Moalboal after having spent ten days there with my family
diving with Savedra Dive Center and Beach Resort.
1. Getting there can be a bit difficult. The roads aren’t the best in places and clogged to the gills with every conceivable type of vehicle. I was lucky enough to have arrived on a Sunday. Our driver said it saved us maybe an hours travel time because of the reduced traffic. We also went back to Cebu airport late at night leaving Moalboal around 10PM. We made it in exactly two hours.
2. Getting cash is no fun at all. It’s simply not possible. I had read this in other posts and thought, “How bad can it be?” It’s bad. I can’t understand why that has not yet been rectified. I saw people leaving early or altogether because they had no cash. The folks that did stay had to really budget themselves. I am on vacation. I want to relax and not worry about things like that. I found that you can send money to yourself from the internet via Western Union. It is ridiculously expensive and I was told by the agents in Moalboal the daily limit per person is 10,000.00 Php. I plan on asking Western Union if that is their corporate policy or just something the locals made up. Wake up Moalboal if you live by tourism you have to give tourists access to cash so they can then hand it over to you.
3. The diving and the water conditions seemed to get progressively worse the later in the day I went diving. I am not sure if that is a seasonal thing, or just bad luck on my part. Savedra ran three boats a day. The best dives were always the first of the day. They were also the fullest, which really surprised me, until I realized that most folks there are pretty serious about diving. The water was usually pretty choppy and visibility was pretty bad every time I went out in the afternoon.
4. Not really a tip, just me soap boxing. Here goes. I am the type of person that likes to see what I am paying for. Everyone in the Philippines seems to have a hand in your pocket, but yet you never really see any result from it. Best case in point. Each dive cost me an extra 100.00Php for I am told environmental protection programs. Go to Pescador Island early morning. I did three times. All three times we had to weave our way through a ring of fishing boats around the island to get to the mooring buoys. I also saw two local spear fishermen taking out nice groupers. I was told as long as they are just skin diving they can spear fish all they like. Wow. Some of these guys can skin dive to 30 meters. Is that really still skin diving. I went to the local fish market, which is ironically located 500 meters from the Maritime police station. At the market for sale I saw a beautiful Eagle ray. The only one I saw my entire time there. The Maritime Police Station was an absolute disgrace. It was littered with trash, mostly plastic bottles and bags most of which had found their way into the waters around the station. I met five of the “officers” and actually dove with one of them. They claim they are new and trying to change things. We will see. I told them each to a man that if they don’t protect the fish, the divers and the dollars will cease to flow to their little corner of the globe. I spoke with a few older German gentlemen that had spent the past four years there. They each said that they felt this year they saw far fewer fish than in previous years. I have nothing to gauge by, but I saw very little in the way of big fish. I know folks have to feed their families. It’s a delicate balance.
5. Savedra Beach Resort was exactly what I needed. It is run with German efficiency which as we all know is the best kind of efficiency. No all jokes aside, it is a top notch place at a great price. Very clean room with a very friendly staff. Plus the convenience of being right on top of a great house reef. At high tide you can almost do a back roll entry off of your balcony. It’s a really relaxing, inviting and friendly place. Most of the staff hang out after work and knock back a few beers with the clientele, offering a unique and personal look into the real life and thoughts of the locals. That to me was a much worth the price of admission as the diving.

6. Not quite sure where to put this one. I am not exactly sure what the normal ratio of girls to lady boys is at a Filipino bar/nightclub, but it seemed to be a bit disproportionate. Just a word to the wise.
Bottom line is bringing lots of cash if you can and be ready to do some serious diving with some really good folks. Don’t expect the Four Seasons or the Crown Royal Plaza. Expect good clean places with very friendly people that will make you feel like family and if you are worthy they will show you something special.

What's bad viz? less than 40 feet?

Thanks for the info.

There were times when the effective viz was probably around 20 feet. I could not photograph anything more than ten feet away on most dives. I am not sure if it is always like that or if it is because of some local event. I have heard the big schools of sardines have a lot to do with it.
Over all it was still a fantastic trip. The last part of my report was cut off. It basically said despite the few problems it was still the trip of a lifetime.
It is a very inexpensive place to do some great diving. Couple that with some cool bars and locals that treat you like family straight away and you have a recipe for fun.

yes Visibility has been a bit challenged lately, not sure about the linkage with the sardines since the issue is up and down the coast not only Pescador. But on a high note, I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Manila and back and I was told the Whaleshark sightings at Pescador resumed. Of course I have never seen it there or anywhere else along the coast.

Agree ATM can be a problem, Ladyboys can be annoying(especially if it is real dark :wink: )

Hahahahahaha. They weren't really a problem, I just thought it was odd that there were so many.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU FOR THE GREAT INFO. I am going to Moalboal in about two weeks. I will scale back my diving. thanks so much!!!! That articles was so valuable. you have no idea how much thanks. !!!!

yes Visibility has been a bit challenged lately, not sure about the linkage with the sardines since the issue is up and down the coast not only Pescador. But on a high note, I just got back from a whirlwind trip to Manila and back and I was told the Whaleshark sightings at Pescador resumed. Of course I have never seen it there or anywhere else along the coast.

Agree ATM can be a problem, Ladyboys can be annoying(especially if it is real dark :wink: )

Just an observation, but the visibility+sardines issue can make a bit of sense if you consider that sardines (juveniles, anyway) feed on phytoplankton, which will pretty much screw up the vis. Incidentally, whalesharks too are filter-feeders, and exist primarily on - you guessed it - the same viz-impairing planktons.

Oh, and what are ladyboys?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom