Advice - Philippines, End of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeurenius

New
Reaction score
Hi folks, would love some advice if you can spare it. I'm new here and a bit new to diving but will be in the Philippies July 21- July 28. Four days will be in Sipalay but the rest of the days I can go anywhere. I'm curious gven the season where might be the best place to dive. This will be my first trip to the country and don't know when I'll be back so woul love to get the most out of it while I'm out here. If anyone has any thoughts, would greatly appreciate them!

Thanks much!

No need to travel great distance, Dumaguette and Apo Island are your logical choice.

Also bear in mind that July is smack bang within the monsoon/typhoon season. Keep an eye on the weather, in particular tropical storms that may be approaching the PI, as this may have a big impact on your choice of location.

Here's a good resource: :: Typhoon2000.com® :: The Philippines' First Website on Tropical Cyclones (Since 1997)

Many thanks for the help! I presume there's no ideal spot then during this time of year, it's just a matter of keeping a close watch out?

Yep, just follow the storm tracks and see where they are likely to go. Typically they run down the east cost and then veer north/east up towards Taiwan etc. They'll often blanket the whole country with cloud and rain, but rarely is diving off-the-cards everywhere. The PI uses a system of numerical 'Storm Signals'... in most locations/regions a signal 1 or 2 will mean no diving/boat movement. The issue of storm signals is regional. Philippines media lists these.

Jeurenius,
I agree the easiest destination to choose is Dumaguette/Apo Island. I think Siquijors seasons will have ended because of the direction of the wind(if memory is correct). Depending on your travel schedule, Bohol(Alona or Cabilao) and Cebu(Mactan/Malapascua or Moalboal) are each possible, but I would only choose one. since your a little pressed for time.

Cheers,
Roger

Hi Jeurenius,
I'll be in Sipalay too between 21 of July and 28 of July so we may see each other if you are diving with Easydiving. As said by others no need to travel far Dumaguette / Dauin is just a few hours away, else Moalboal is also fairly close although it is on Cebu Island, your dive resort may be able to arrange the travel. Moalboal is great for wall dives and there is Pescador Island known as one of the best dives on the Philippines.

Well I am counting my days & dives here on Malapascua Island. I need some direction on a budget dive shop/stay in Bohol,Dumaguette and Apo Island. I appreciate yo guy's expert advise. Looking for around $30usd a boat dive and $300usd a month stay.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

if you will be in sipalay, try to check out if they offer trips to cagayancillo island which is an island west of sipalay. the diving is definitely amazing and worth the long boat ride. If not your closest destination which is in no way a slouch is apo island and dauin in dumagete.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom