Where to stay in Puerto Galera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are in the early stages of planning a dive trip to PG and are looking for input as to where to stay. Our criteria is reasonably quiet, clean, working AC, pool, good food, mid priced, good safety minded dive op, mid sized, 3 dives/day, all inclusive if possible. Something that is similar to buddy dive in Bonaire or Little Cayman Beach Resort. Are Atlantis or Laguna Resorts candidates?

I'm thinking Atlantis or El Galleon/Asia divers might fit your requests.
Atlantis is in the middle of Sabang, a bit noisy area, but a few restaurants within an easy walk.
El Galleon is a well run operation, they have their own pier. Plus the point bar is there. It is in small la laguna which is a tad quieter, but still an easy walk to town if you need to.
Food is good and I believe package deals are available.
When you say Laguna I am assuming you mean LaLaguna Beach Club in Big LaLaguna.
They have the nice sand beach and it is quiet there, pool is nice, but the rooms face inwards. It would be a longer walk into sabang and there are a lot less choices on eating there. My wife like
another option is Action divers, they seem to run a pretty good OP, more low key.
There are many "resorts" to stay at and also many dive op's to choose from.
I have never stayed at out of the blue villas, but it is perhaps the nicest place in PG, but to pricey for me.
More later :shocked2:

The town of Puerto Galera is quite a distance away from the beaches.
Majority of the dive operators and resorts are lined along Sabang Beach, Small La Laguna and Big La Laguna.
Only the smallish beach at Big La Laguna would you dare to lie down for sun worshipping.
Sabang Beach is where the actions are ie from restaurants, shopping, drinking bars to girlie bars, massage, travel agents, money changing etc etc. The other two beaches are completely different.

The followings are those with well over 12yrs of experience.
1. Atlantis(Sabang).
2. El Galleon/Asia Divers(Small La Laguna)
3. Portofino/Action Divers(Small La Laguna)
3. La Laguna Beach club and Dive Centre(Big La Laguna)

The water along Sabang is dirty(household sewage etc etc) and the sand is balck in colour!!!! During low tide diver have to wade through it. I hate doing that in those water.

Puerto Galera wouldn't be my first choice for the Philippines...but if you're there you can go wrong with Atlantis..great operation

I have to vote for El Galleon/Asia Divers, I have to admit it was the only place I have stayed. It was a great trip though. You might also want to think about staying in Manila for a day or so before heading over. It gives you a day or so to get used to the time change and see some of the sights as well.

I think we ended up doing 4 dives a day. The food is good although you would have to check on the all inclusive option. The rooms had AC, but we never spent much time there. It was really nice to roll out of bed and grab a made to order omelet, make a dive. Grab a small snack, make a dive. Eat lunch, make a dive. Hang out for a little bit and then make another dive.

The point bar is also nice, just don't ring the bell unless you want to buy drinks. I did my 100th dive there and they gave me a nice shirt saying 100 dives. The last day with no diving we went to see some waterfalls and a local village out in the middle of nowhere.

I would like to go back, but it is a long flight.

Centrals has some good suggestions. Although Action divers is a good op, I think the Portofino is not the best hotel/resort. small rooms that have tiny balconies, most with no ocean view. Overpriced for what you get.
Pool is small and out in the front of the hotel. Not sure if the food is included, but based on their menu they post out front every evening itwas pricey and never saw more than one or two people eating in the restaurant.
Just my dalawa (2) pesos worth.

Our criteria is reasonably quiet, clean, working AC, pool, good food, mid priced, good safety minded dive op, mid sized, 3 dives/day, all inclusive if possible... Are Atlantis or Laguna Resorts candidates?

Atlantis is probably the most expensive place in PG - it would meet most of the other criteria, if not all. LBC is cheaper but further away. There are a lot of other options, have a look on trip advisor

NB Puerto Galera is the name of the area; what many people refer to as the 'town of PG' is actually called Poblacion

This map might help: http://www.puertogalera.biz/images/pgmap2 .jpg

Unless you're coming in high season (Dec-Feb) the best bet is usually to book a couple of nights and have a look around, then decide

A friend and I stayed at Atlantis last March. We enjoyed it very much, diving was very good, DM's were great at critter finding, got to dive with people from all over the world(Brazil, Chile, Spain, UK, and Shanghai all in a few days)food was excellent. Met the owner who went out of his way for my friend (gift shop purchase) We pretty much stayed at the resort at night, walked around the streets a bit ( for 2 women alone, some of those back alleys are a little sleazy) so we were quite happy with our choice. Boats were easy to get in and out of, I saw some other dive shops that looked to me like they seriously overloaded their boats, while with Atlantis we never had more than 8 divers . Did 3 dives a day, could have done 4 plus a night dive if we wanted...I would definately stay there again, and am considering doing Atlantis in Dumaquete next March.

I've only stayed at La Laguna Beach club and I highly recommend them. I stayed in the new building which has sea facing suite rooms. All around great place.

I have never stayed at out of the blue villas, but it is perhaps the nicest place in PG, but to pricey for me.
More later :shocked2:

I stayed at Out of the Blue Villas on my trip last December. We had Villa 4, cost was $120 a night. Sure its more than most places in PG but well worth it if you can afford it. The villa consist has a full kitchen, dining room, TV area, Living room, Bedroom and large bath. The whole place is approximately 1000 sf. Beautiful views and a nice pool, aircon, etc. If you are two couples they have two bedrom for $180 a night. I recommed it if you want to splurge, can save a few bucks by making your own breakfast and margaritas. I dove with AB Wonderdive just a short walk up the beach towards Sabang.
Ken

Back
Top Bottom