Malapascua...And?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup

Weedy Sea Dragon
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

In the research phase of planning a trip to the Philippines - probably for mid-June. The main reason is to go to Malapascua for the thresher sharks, but I can't really see myself spending more than a week there. As such, I'm just wondering if anybody has any advice on where to spend a second week in the Philippines - that is relatively convenient to get to from Malapascua? Basically I'd be looking to spend the first week at Malapascua, and a second week at another resort (maybe liveaboard). Anyone have any suggestions for a convenient back-end to the trip, bearing in mind that I will likely be travelling in June?

If it makes any difference, I have the option to arrange my international flights either in and out of Cebu or Manila - I have to connect in Hong Kong or Singapore either way.

Appreciate any tips :coffee:

Sticking to the Visayas would make it easier. After Malapascua you will have to go back to Cebu City regardless. From there you are failry close to Moalboal, Bohol and Alona Beach, Dumaguete and Dauin with Apo Island, Siquijor and short flights from Camaguin etc. As such landing and depsrting from Cebu makes sense.

Personally I would head to Dumaguete because in Malapascua you will get pelagics like sharks and rays, excellent soft coral, great topography dives like Gato and the famous Dona Marilyn wreck. Juxtapose that with the excellent muck diving in Dauin and the hard coral, turtles and schools of fish on Apo Island and you have experienced a great cross section of the Philippines. PM for any info you need.

Cannot go wrong with Apo Island! The team at Liquid Dumaguete made my stay a treat.

Sticking to the Visayas would make it easier. After Malapascua you will have to go back to Cebu City regardless. From there you are failry close to Moalboal, Bohol and Alona Beach, Dumaguete and Dauin with Apo Island, Siquijor and short flights from Camaguin etc. As such landing and depsrting from Cebu makes sense.

Personally I would head to Dumaguete because in Malapascua you will get pelagics like sharks and rays, excellent soft coral, great topography dives like Gato and the famous Dona Marilyn wreck. Juxtapose that with the excellent muck diving in Dauin and the hard coral, turtles and schools of fish on Apo Island and you have experienced a great cross section of the Philippines. PM for any info you need.

Spot on!

Thanks :) Will look into the options at Dumaguete. The only other place I was seriously considering was Puerto Galera - but only really because a friend of mine has been there and raves about it. But it sounds like sticking to Cebu will be more practical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom