Flying between islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Betterwet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My wife and I are planning a dive trip to the Philippines in April and have a questions about moving from one island to the next. Our first stop is Padre Burgos on Southern Leyte. Our second stop is El Nido with an overnight at Puerto Princesa in route. So I see where we can get a flight on Philippines Airlines from Tacloban to Manila, layover 1 hour and 15 minutes in Manila and then catch a second flight from Manila to Puerto Princesa. Now in the states an 1 hour and 15 minute layover would seem doable considering this would all be on the same airlines. But in the Philippines, on an airlines I have not deal with I question if this is enough time. Does anyone have any experience with Philippines airlines and making a connection like this? If an hour and 15 minutes is not enough how much time do I need?

Thanks for the help.

Looks tight to me. If I have learned one thing about Philippine transport, it is that everything takes looonger, and to allow for it. Perhaps Centrals can chime in here and give a more exact assessment of this plan?

If you book TAC-MNL-Puerto Princessa all on one ticket, the airline will decide for you what the minimum layover will be in Manila. So if you are late coming in to Manila and you miss your connection, it will be their responsibility to put you on the next available flight.

On the other hand, if you book the TAC-MNL and MNL-PP as two separate tickets, then it's your problem if you miss the second leg.

So best advice is book it as one ticket, and go with the flow! A quick look at PAL website seems to indicate that all Tacloban flights and Puerto Princessa flights starting tomorrow will be through Terminal 3 in Manila. So if no terminal change required, 90 minutes layover probably OK.

The flights that you are talking about:
PR2986 14:55/16:15
PR2787 17:30/18:50
You would have to spend a night in Manila if there is delay on your first leg. Would PR hold back PR2787 for you? I doubt it but you never know.
What is the alternative?
1. PR2982(06:40/07:55))/PR2785(13:10)but that means you have to set off from Sogod Bay around midnight or overnight in Tacloban. And of course you can't dive on the previous day.
2. Take a look at Cebu Pacific's schedule because they have flights from Cebu City or Manila to Puerto Princesa. One daily direct flight from CEB to PPS and more frequent daily flights from TAC/MNL and MNL/PPS. But this airline is a point to point carrier ie. if you miss the connection flight they will only sell you a new one without any compensation.

No easy solution.

---------- Post added January 8th, 2015 at 04:55 PM ----------

If I have to travel from Sogod Bay to Puerto Princesa, I will take the direct 5J flight from CEB to PPS in the afternoon.
Take the slow overnight ferry from where-ever in Leyte to Cebu City but I would rather spend a night in Cebu than night ferry.

Last edited:
if you do decide to take the ferry the cokaliong is late night thursday and sunday (10 pm, midnight) and day trip tuesday (8 am) maasin - cebu city. if one of these days works i agree with centrals it is imho a better option than tacloban - mnl - pp. if you are able to take advantage of this be sure to spend the extra few pesos and travel tourist (not economy). try to get a lower bunk. if u have an eye mask bring it. sometimes it stays pretty bright in there!

Philippines Airlines from Tacloban to Manila, layover 1 hour and 15 minutes in Manila and then catch a second flight from Manila to Puerto Princesa.
Thanks for the help.
Forget it. I have been though Madhouse Manila a few times and 2 hours 15 minutes would be risky, let alone 1 hour 15 minutes. There is no order in the airport and there are queues for everything - you may find yourself in the wrong queue after being directed somewhere. The airport is often chock-a-block with FOWs (Filipino Overseas Workers) and everything is delayed and mixed-up. It does not matter which airline you are using for domestic flights.

Try to get a longer layover.

Thanks Hintermann
We have decided to not risk it and are planning now to layover in Manila and fly the next day to El Nido direct. It means planning another night in Manila but better than ending up there anyway without a reservation. Also means the dive gear comes with us to El Nido . Who knows maybe we get an extra dive in this way. At least going we get to skip the the drive from Puerto Princesa to El Nido.

T

1. As far as I can remember the flight to El Nido is usually reserved for those staying in those exclusive resorts. The airline generally released any left over no more than 5 days in advance to the public. Situation might have changed nowadays.
2. There are much better diving destinations in the country than El Nido(my experience). How about enquire about the possibility of chartering a boat to take U2 from Southern Leyte to Malapascua?

Central,
We are staying at one of the resorts that use ITI to fly directly to El Nido. Not the original plan but will take out a second mortgage and see how the 1%ers live. Have reservations after El Nido to dive the Tubbataha Reef on the Stella Maris Explorer. The orginal plan was to drop off the dive gear in Puerto Princesa on our way through to El Nido and not dive up there at all.
Under the new approach we end up with the gear so we could dive if we want. We have 3 days in El Nido and I am sure at least 2 of those days will be spent island hopping. But who knows on the 3rd day maybe we feel a little nitrogen deprived.
Thanks again for the information on releasing the seats on the plane to the public. Not only did I not know that but could have spent allot of time working down the wrong path. I owe you at least a beer.
T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom