Thoughts on PADI speciality courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Over the course of this summer, I did a series of PADI speciality courses just to get myself back in the water and to give myself something to do other than look at fish (I did wonder if that made me what is derisively referred to as a 'badge collector' and then decided that I didn't care). Purely for the purposes of throwing it out there for discussion, I thought I would give my 5 cents on the relative merits of the various courses that I did.

Wreck Diver. Enjoyed the course and thought that I learned something, although some bits of it were pitched a bit too low. I initially thought reel handing would be extremely intuitive, and still held that view when we did the practice drills in wide open water. Was actually a bit surprised how much more challenging it was in an overhead environment trying to pay close attention to buoyancy to avoid kicking up silt and/or hitting my head on the ceiling. Greatly increased my respect for technical divers who do deep wreck and cave penetration (and made it much less likely I would ever try and do something stupid without proper training).

Night Diver. On the upside, I got to do some night dives whilst getting the certification, and I love night diving. But I can't honestly think of anything that I was taught which I didn't remember from my AOW class.

Deep Diver. Can't honestly think of anything that I was taught that I didn't remember from my original basic open water certification. Colours change. Air spaces get squeezed. Water gets colder. Air runs out faster. Watch your tables/computer and SPG more carefully when deep. Watch your depth. Watch out for Narcosis.

U/W Photographer. Learned a lot (speaking as someone who had never before done it). My only complaint was that the course, I felt, was too short. For newbies like me there was a lot to learn (and I suspect a lifetime to master). Finished it in serious danger of becoming expensively addicted to underwater photography. That may become next summer's "thing" for me.

Multilevel Diver. Was pleasantly surprised by this course, which I had thought would be a bit of a waste of time ("watch your computer"). But we spent a lot of time learning what we know (and don't know) about decompression theory. Found it really interesting, and just a little bit disturbing at some points. Nice to finally learn how the much vaunted "Wheel" works (good invention, just 10 years too late). Didn't feel that the "training dives" added much to the theory lessons though.

U/W Navigation. Not sure that I learned a great deal that I hadn't learned during the AOW course, but practising the skills was actually quite good fun, especially the "point to point" exercise. Quite useful to go over compass skills again, as the waters are so clear in the Caribbean that we rarely actually use them.

Search & Recovery. The LDS tried to discourage me from taking this one, as it is pretty hard to combine teaching the course with taking tourists out on tours (which is how they make their money), but the instructors were all keen to teach it as they rarely get a chance to break out the lift bags. I am certainly glad that I did it, although it got a bit repetitive at points, after (a) having done the U/W Navigation course previously, and (b) for some reason the LDS refused to give me credit for the S&R training dive that I did on my AOW course (I know, it's discretionary, but they exercised their discretion the other way for all of the others). I have to say Dive #3 in particular was hugely physically exhausting (big search pattern, moving a heavy object a long way at neutral bouyancy in a current before lifting it to the boat), so if nothing else I learned more about my own limits!

DPV. Lots of fun whizzing about on a DPV. I didn't honestly think that I would learn anything, but it was a bit trickier than I had thought - they can be tempramental beasts. Mastering clearing your ears whilst manoeuvring a DPV on a mild descent is a bit of a skill. Not likely to dive on a DPV much, but glad to think that if I do ever do it again, the same things that surprised me whilst I was safely under instructor supervision won't surprise me again.

Not sure what other views people have of these courses, but those are my views on the courses that I took, for what little they are worth.

Nice write up....also helps us (instructors) know what areas to focus more attention on to make the class worth while. Thanks

Congrats on all your hard work. Sounds like a great summer.

jcf

I'll add my two. Just my opinion.

Nitrox. No reason anyone should have to take a class for this. Read the book and pay attention to what it says. It's not rocket science. The "classroom" part of the class I took was a complete joke. They were looking for an instructor to show up in the morning the night before my "classroom" session. I dunno where they got the guy that showed up. The "instructor" really didn't seem to know the material at all. Overall, you need to know the material before diving nitrox - no question about it, but it's not like all learning requires a class. Having an "instructor" really added no value to the learning experience, esp. since you don't even have to actually do nitrox dives to get the cert.

Drysuit. I did my OW cert dives in a drysuit, so I didn't really expect to get much out of this class. I only took it because my wife was taking the class (she did her OW cert in Florida) and I wanted to give her some moral support. The book material seemed to have a lot of material that didn't have a whole lot to do with drysuit diving technique. Same for the video. The pool session was OK - definitely good to try out the suit in a pool before heading out to the open water, but it's not like you need an instructor to do this. Not sure having an instructor at the pool really added much to the experience, but going through the exercises in the pool (mask stuff, regulator stuff, BCD stuff, etc.) is definitely worth doing. Only recommend the course if you need the card to rent a suit. If you're buying your own suit (which I recommend anyway), I think you can more than get by with just going to the pool and practice the stuff - and if you really want, buy the book and read it on your own, or buy the video and watch it on your own. Don't really need the instructor, esp. if you're already a reasonably experienced diver.

Nitrox. No reason anyone should have to take a class for this...Having an "instructor" really added no value to the learning experience, esp. since you don't even have to actually do nitrox dives to get the cert.

True the information can easily be self-taught, however I think the agencies prefer to have someone go over it with you rather than just to give a test or simply let you put it in your tank. Certainly for a cert, someone has to at least sign you off. The stuff is potentially dangerous after all.

I'll add my two. Just my opinion.

Nitrox. No reason anyone should have to take a class for this. Read the book and pay attention to what it says. It's not rocket science. The "classroom" part of the class I took was a complete joke. They were looking for an instructor to show up in the morning the night before my "classroom" session. I dunno where they got the guy that showed up. The "instructor" really didn't seem to know the material at all. Overall, you need to know the material before diving nitrox - no question about it, but it's not like all learning requires a class. Having an "instructor" really added no value to the learning experience, esp. since you don't even have to actually do nitrox dives to get the cert.

You just had a bad instructor. I have yet to have a student understand the multiple tables and entire dive planning process without some instructor guidance. The primary role of an instructor as regards academic classes is to review, cover anything not understood, and then verify through testing that a student understands the material and can use the knowledge safely. Shops and boats do not like having people use nitrox unless they know they have been trained to use it safely. Would you be comfortable diving with a random buddy on nitrox who just read about it in a book?

Drysuit? .. please ... have an experienced mentor teach you, or take a class .. you dont want to teach yourself, with almost nothing to go on

The Nitrox thing is an interesting question - here in the BVI we are still in the dark ages on Nitrox, but my LDS is talking about getting it. Unrelated, I am also talking with them about getting my son certified when he hits 10. In connection with the latter, they were explaining to me that some studies express concern about the risks of developing tissue absorbing nitrogen, to which I asked the seemingly (to me) sensible question: well, why don't you have them use Nitrox?

I might as well have asked if they would consider selling the children into slavery guaging from the reaction that I got. The very notion of sending uncertified children underwater breathing Nitrox! The Devil's gas!

But as I understand it, kids are not allowed to dive past 60 feet (and not recommended to go past 40 feet), and would at all times be under instructor supervision - so someone tell me exactly what is so insane about the proposal? The risk of OxTox breathing EANx32 or 36 at such shallow depths must be absolutely zero! If the essence of the Enriched Air course is "don't go deeper than your gas allows or bad things may happen to you", I am not sure that is such a difficult thing to police in such a benign environment.

Greatly increased my respect for technical divers who do deep wreck and cave penetration (and made it much less likely I would ever try and do something stupid without proper training).

Although my wreck workshop was not a PADI class, I came out of it with the exact same reaction!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom