Upgrading PADI Junior Certification Cards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BeevyD

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Okay, so I'll preface this with two things. First, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this question. Second, I know what PADI stands for (Put Another Dollar In). That being said, I really haven't had any problems with their prices until now.

Heres the deal. I hold 12 certifications through the company. All of them I got before my 18th birthday, (or what ever age) so they're all Junior Diver Cards. Now I understand there's no real difference between Junior and Regular cards once you're no longer a minor, but lets be real guys... there's something emasculating about being a "junior" anything.

SO! I decided to go onto the website to get my BIG BOY!!!!! cards in. Only to find out that they're charging $39.99 per card for the lowest option. If it wanted get hammer head shark on the back.... BAM! 10 more bucks. I even checked to see if the currency is correct. Yup, good old USD.

Now I'm not Albert Freeeeeking Einstein, to be honest I'm an English major. But, I'm pretty sure my math is correct when I calculated the total for the 12 cards to be $480. Not including tax. Not including shipping. Not including a cool hammerhead shark picture.

Please someone tell I did something wrong. No one wants to be that guy whose card says "under 15 must dive with adult". But I'm not spending 500 bucks for new plastic.

Anyone else in the same boat?

If you really want to upgrade your cards, I'd chose to only get new cards for your highest cert. IMO, there isn't a reason to get a new OW card if you're AOW or Rescue certified.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you really want to upgrade your cards, I'd chose to only get new cards for your highest cert. IMO, there isn't a reason to get a new OW card if you're AOW or Rescue certified

I might have to do that. It makes sense. Still baffled by the prices!

I might have to do that. It makes sense. Still baffled by the prices!

Yeah, I agree on the prices being high... I have avoided replacing a few lost cards for that reason myself a few times.

Agree with the suggestion to just get your highest level card upgraded.
The other cards make a nice history / bragging opportunity. (Look how precocious I am - I got this certification when I was only umteen years old." - or something a little less obnoxious.)

Why bother with new card? At age 15 it is no longer jr..I would not spend any $ or exert any effort for a new card. I very often use a card from 1975 that is falling apart (it is an instructor card) with a photo of myself that looks like Carlos Santana just to get some fun comments made. Really want a big boy card just take a class to next level, like if you have advance go to rescue.

Why bother with new card? At age 15 it is no longer jr..I would not spend any $ or exert any effort for a new card. I very often use a card from 1975 that is falling apart (it is an instructor card) with a photo of myself that looks like Carlos Santana just to get some fun comments made. Really want a big boy card just take a class to next level, like if you have advance go to rescue.

Agreed no need any new card if you want one do the highest one. My last several dives in third world countries (Belize, Roatan) all the dive shops where I filled out my forms had smarthphones or computers. With my name and DOB they pulled up my certificaitons. Did not need to bring or show my cards at all.

The other option is to get the cards on your smart phone. No idea what that would cost. I would go with the highest rating and specialties you want to use at this time

In agreement with all who suggest just getting your highest cert upgraded - and potentially any relevant specialty cards that you frequently use too. The rest - if you really need them to be - can be looked up on the online database.

Highest card + Nitrox. You should be covered.

Or even better, if you don't have Nitrox, take a class and if you don't have say Rescue, do it. At these prices it might be beneficial to just drop a coin for a Master Diver card.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom