Apeks XTX50/100/200 differences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KansaiKitsune

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Can someone briefly summarize the major differences between the Apeks ATX or XTX 50/100/200 models? Does the 200 allow me to shoot lasers at sharks or something like that? Because based upon what I've read, I can't find that many differences on the main site, but I might also be missing something. Generally, as in the computer world, higher numbers = better than. Sometimes all it means is that it has a nicer faceplace.

I plan to be diving both air and nitrox in Florida climates, though I want a reg I can take anywhere.

And yes, I will go with an authorized LDS... if the LDS don't give me an insane markup and force me to buy from LP so that I can actually afford to have enough money left over to go on a boat dive. I want the warranty, though, and I'm pretty sure I want an Apeks, since everyone I have ever heard speak of one has raved.

I haven't heard the same said about the Aeris Pros or the like that Scubatoys offers at very reasonable prices, though I also haven't heard anyone said they're garbage either.

ALSO: Is that Aqualung promotion still going, where if you buy a reg, you can get a free octo? I didn't see it on the site.

I'm not 100% sure so don't go on my advice only, but when I bought my XTX50 yesterday (Very pretty up close by the way) I asked the assisstant about the XTX100, he seemed to think that the only difference between the 50 and 100 is the 100 first stage can take 300bar of pressure, where the 50 can take 232.

KansaiKitsune:
Can someone briefly summarize the major differences between the Apeks ATX or XTX 50/100/200 models?

The major different is in the first stage and therefore hose routing. The ATX/XTX50 first stage (DST) has a swivel but you can also specify the non swivel DS4 first stage when ordering. The ATX50/100/200 second stages are all the same except for some cosmetic and different metal finish on the ATX50. The XTX50/100/200 second stages are all the same except for some cosmetic and a different metal finish on the XTX50. The lower number XTX also do not include both exhaust tee options.

Vie:
The lower number XTX also do not include both exhaust tee options.
That's actually incorrect, the XTX 50 (Which I am assuming you're talking about) comes with both the small exhaust tee, and the extended exhaust tee.

AJ Tudor:
That's actually incorrect, the XTX 50 (Which I am assuming you're talking about) comes with both the small exhaust tee, and the extended exhaust tee.

I meant the XTX40 and XTX20, that's why I DIDN'T state that it was the XTX50. But thanks for assuming...

I should have written, "The lower number XTXs also do not include both exhaust tee options." Sorry I was not clear.

Vie:
I meant the XTX40 and XTX20, that's why I DIDN'T state that it was the XTX50. But thanks for assuming...

I should have written, "The lower number XTXs also do not include both exhaust tee options." Sorry I was not clear.
I figured you may have meant those but just thought I best make sure...okay so I wanted to sound like I knew something useful :D

Vie is correct and in addition, the lower than 50 numbers do not have the ability to reroute the second stage hoses from the left rather than the traditional right, nor do they have cracking resistance adjustments.

I actually have a question for the original poster. How do you know you prefer Apeks over other brands? Maybe you've tried them but that's not indicated in your OP, from that it seems like you are going on reputation alone. I own the XTX 200 and absolutely love it. But i also compared it to other brands to see how i relate to different breathing characteristics. As an example, i don't like Scubapro regulators at all! It actually came as a shock to me given their undeniable quality but i simply didn't like the way they seem to force too much air down your throat. Some people actually love SP because of that so there isn't a right answer here, it's just preference so i would suggest you formulate your own if there's a chance that you'll regret your decision later.

theatis:
I actually have a question for the original poster. How do you know you prefer Apeks over other brands? Maybe you've tried them but that's not indicated in your OP, from that it seems like you are going on reputation alone. I own the XTX200 and absolutely love it. But I also compared it to other brands to see how I relate to different breathing characteristics. As an example, I don't like Scubapro regulators at all! It actually came as a shock to me given their undeniable quality but i simply didn't like the way they seem to force too much air down your throat. Some people actually love SP because of that so there isn't a right answer here, it's just preference so i would suggest you formulate your own if there's a chance that you'll regret your decision later.

Good question.

My 2c... For me, I really can't tell much difference between my Scubapro MK20/S600, MK25/G250HP and my Apeks FSTs and FSR in terms of breathing characteristics (as all are adjustable to my liking). All of them have served me well so in choosing which one to use and when, hose routing considerations is the determining factor. I use AL80 tanks pretty much exclusively (for backgas) and have found that the MK20/25 (or similarly configured piston first stages such as those from Atomic Aquatics or Oceanic's PX-3, etc.) is perfect for a single tank setup. I much prefer the non swivel and very compact Apeks first stages for doubles. Imho, the MK20/25 and Apeks DS4 are great for steel doubles but the hose routing is a bit tight when it comes to AL80 doubles.

I actually have a question for the original poster. How do you know you prefer Apeks over other brands? Maybe you've tried them but that's not indicated in your OP, from that it seems like you are going on reputation alone.

That's true, actually. I was going off of reputation. Apeks at my local stores seem rather expensive. At my LDS, the guy showed me the Oceanic Delta IV and the Atomics. Both of them seemed extremely nice. The Atomics were very light and comfortable to hold, and the Oceanic looked sturdy and only had to be serviced every two years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom