reg advice - moved from Wakatobi thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jrock1

Reaction score
Many thanks to all of you who responded to my questions. Very helpful. And thanks, High Desert for Crispin's email and tip. You were great last year when I asked about Fiji. My question for today is a recommendation for the best reg. Until now I've been renting, and liked the Aqua Lung Titan last year. Its been suggested to bite the bullet and buy a reg even though I only would use it once a year for a couple of weeks or so, the main reason for renting until now. I dive in tropical places and seldom go deeper than 80'. I'm a heavy breather - my dives average 30-50 minutes @ 60'. Another question - would I need to have the reg serviced after lying unused for 10 months every year, and if so, how much is that? Your continued input would be greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

Best is a very relative term, and depends on a number of personal factors. Consider that your question is much like asking what type of car is best for a little old lady to drive to the store 2 miles away, once per week, if the weather is nice. (A Ford Focus, or a Mercedes C class will both do the job, and depending on any number of other factors either one might be the better car for the job ) The simple reality is any of the name brand upper end models will perform the job exceptionaly well, and most if not all of the low end models will do so acceptably. Therefore such questions as local dealer support, personal tastes, etc. become a major factor.

Ike

p.s. as to service, all the manufactuers are going to say the regulators need to be serviced every year, some tie warranty coverage to this, service fees vary likely $70 and UP

You don't mention what type of kit you use, I'm assuming recreational single tank air

I would suggest you consider Apeks XTX20 first and seconds, with an Apeks XTX20 or Egress octo - just fine for warm water diving (assuming you can get local support for your 'annual' service). apeks.co.uk will point you to a local dealer

They're reliable, breathe well, and IMHO reasonably priced - try leisurepro.com in New York

If you have intentions of doing advanced/tech/cold water/nitrox in the future, my suggestion would be different

Scubapro and many other suppliers will provide an equivalent product, doesn't sound like your diving is too demanding

Back
Top Bottom