sherwood 4000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J Hicks

Reaction score
I am just about to start my scuba classes. I picked up a sherwood 4000 octo. Do they still make parts for these?
I tryed contacting sherwood with no luck whatsoever.

I had asked the owner of my LDS a while back about Sherwood BC's. If I recall correctly, he said something about how he used to carry Sherwood gear but they kept going in and out of bankruptcy and then getting picked up by different distributors or something. I think he said that they were currently going through this, but that it's good gear and they would eventually be picked up again. I think the Sherwood AVID(the BC I was looking into)is a new BC. I checked their site a while back and it left alot to be desired; however, I just now checked their site and it's been totally redone. It didn't show the AVID then and now it does. The dealer locator still doesn't work, though. Also, I noticed some of the area shops didn't advertise Sherwood products and now they are. Somebody has been reworking their website lately so keep checking back you may eventually get the information you need. Sorry I don't have alot of solid facts, just my observations and what I've heard, but I hope it helps.

Zagnut,
Any shop that services Sherwood should be able to fix up your old 4000. The replaceable parts, like seats, are the same still. In fact, on the 4000 second stage, the only parts needing replacing for annual service are the seat and 2 or 3 0-rings.
Neil

J Hicks,
I am looking at a Sherwood 4000. Are you happy with yours? I am a new diver with a limited budget, so the low-cost maintenance of a Sherwood Reg appeals to me.

Wow... These look like some old dredged up posts here. Or maybe I'm just reading things wrong.

The Sherwood/Selpac 4000 series regulator is an EXTREMELY old regulator that no longer has parts or service kits available for it.

The Regulator pre-dates the common use of gauges and even J-valves to some extent. It was designed with it's own J-valve system incorporated onto the 1st stage.

The unit is old enough that I don't even have or print paper copies of the service manual any longer. I have a copy on PDF that I refer to once a year or so when a question pops up.

If you've got one, shine it up and put it up on the shelf with the US Diver Aquarius, the Voit Pacer, Healthways regs and your old Nemrods! They make great conversation starters!

Enjoy!!!

Shrwdtech,
Thanks for the input. After doing a little more research, I did eventually find out that these are ancient as you say. Good thing I didn't buy it.

Zagnut once bubbled...
I had asked the owner of my LDS a while back about Sherwood BC's. If I recall correctly, he said something about how he used to carry Sherwood gear but they kept going in and out of bankruptcy ..... Sorry I don't have alot of solid facts,

Not to be rude Zagnut, but your post has few solid facts at all, just hearsay from a dealer who obviously knows very little... Sherwood is still a very solid company and provide excellent support to their dealers.

As far as the old Sherwood 4000 Octo goes I believe it uses a standard sherwood LP seat so it could possibly be serviced providing the rest of it is OK.

Keep in mind the service bills on these old reg's often far exceed their value or reliability.

Brian

I think what Zag's misguided or misinformed dive shop might have been referring to is that Sherwood DID make some interesting business decisions in the late 90's and had some real issues in the wharehouse that caused some tight money situations. While they were never in danger of going bankrupt or out of biz, it did make it an easy decision to sell when the right offer came about.

Things were a bit tight for the first year or so as things got sorted out and a new footing and direction established, but now things are going quite well!

We've spent a great deal on advertising and marketing, reworked some of the old favorites making them more appealing, comfortable and useful, and created some nice new products. We've hired one of the formost product engineers in Scuba who over the next couple years will help Sherwood to continue to listen to the public and create exciting new gear! Coupled with the Akona Soft Good and Neoprene line we hope to keep our brands right at the front of everybody's shops and thoughts!

Of course, everybody has thier favorites and I respect that, so what ever you choose... Enjoy!!!

Sherwood is the worlds leading manufacturer of valves used in everything from welding gas tanks, beer taps, soda kegs and just about anything else that uses valves. They also manufacture regulators for many other scuba equipment companies that just rebrand them with their name on the regs and valves. I seriously doubt Sherwood is going out of business any time soon. I apologize for the necro thread post but the info is still relevant.

"They also manufacture regulators for many other scuba equipment companies that just rebrand them with their name on the regs and valves."

This isn't a necro thread, it's a fossil one! Regarding the above- I didn't know this, could you please elaborate on which regs you are referring to?
Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom