Good cold water beginner regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a cold water diver based in San Francisco and mostly diving in Monterey with 33 dives. I am currently looking into getting my own gear and am trying to find a good cost-efficient regulator that will fit my needs. I'm looking for a Reg/Octo package preferably under $500. I have all but settled on the Sherwood Brut, but want to make sure that there isn't another regulator out there that would work better for me.

You might want to look at this ScubaBoard article I wrote a while ago to get familiar with the options and why you may or may not want a specific feature.

The Mares package suggested looks pretty good if you can get it delivered to the US for a decent price. You might want to see if you can get a similar ScubaPro package from Europe at a similar cost. The Mk11 1st and S370 2nds are a great combo. ScubaPro will have more service providers. As mentioned in the article, the ability to service the regulators near where you live is the #1 feature you want.

You might want to see if you can get a similar ScubaPro package from Europe at a similar cost. The Mk11 1st and S370 2nds are a great combo. ScubaPro will have more service providers. As mentioned in the article, the ability to service the regulators near where you live is the #1 feature you want.

Not sure if they'll ship to the US. ScubaPro is normally pretty good at tying the hands of even their international dealers.

I am a cold water diver based in San Francisco and mostly diving in Monterey with 33 dives. I am currently looking into getting my own gear and am trying to find a good cost-efficient regulator that will fit my needs. I'm looking for a Reg/Octo package preferably under $500. I have all but settled on the Sherwood Brut, but want to make sure that there isn't another regulator out there that would work better for me.
SF Bay area diver here too.

In our diving condition, it isn't that cold or dirty. Most regulators will do just fine. My suggestion is going to be a bit different than others.
1. go with reg that your local dive shop can support. As a beginner, it is unrealistic to expect DIY. If you can, forget about this bullet point.
2. get a brand that is desirable in 2nd hand market, one you can sell easily so if you want to upgrade, you are not stuck with something no one wants

I like Dive Rite, HOG, Deep6, DGX if you plan to do some support yourself. They are all very solid, support DIY maintence. You can easily sell them later. Otherwise, I will stick to popular brands in our areas: Aqualung, Atomic, Scubapro, Apex ... These brands, you will for sure get support anywhere in the world as well. Persoanlly, I would avoid Oceanic, Hollis,

@jbennett4001,

My suggestion is for you to focus on regs that others who dive Monterey are using and would recommend. (These divers likely will recommend brand-name regs that are simple, but robust, and can be serviced locally or DIY.) Maybe focus a bit less on price and, especially, resale value. I am still using regs I purchased new in 1987 and 1988 (Scubapro Mk 10 + Balanced Adjustable/G250). These were not inexpensive at the time, but they have proven (to me) to be worth much more than their price.

rx7diver

SF Bay area diver here too.

In our diving condition, it isn't that cold or dirty. Most regulators will do just fine. My suggestion is going to be a bit different than others.
1. go with reg that your local dive shop can support. As a beginner, it is unrealistic to expect DIY. If you can, forget about this bullet point.
2. get a brand that is desirable in 2nd hand market, one you can sell easily so if you want to upgrade, you are not stuck with something no one wants

I like Dive Rite, HOG, Deep6, DGX if you plan to do some support yourself. They are all very solid, support DIY maintence. You can easily sell them later. Otherwise, I will stick to popular brands in our areas: Aqualung, Atomic, Scubapro, Apex ... These brands, you will for sure get support anywhere in the world as well. Persoanlly, I would avoid Oceanic, Hollis,
I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention but Aqualung isn’t doing too hot right now. They are near bankruptcy and might be acquired by a private equity firm, and/or might even fold. People haven’t been able to get stuff serviced for a long time now, and their stock is miserable. I’d avoid Aqualung like the plague.

If you’re not interested in self servicing tour regs and want a brand that’s pretty stable (now) and has popularity and good world wide support look at Scubapro.
If you’re interested in self service then look at Hog, Deep 6, or DGX.
I’m a piston fan myself so if it was me I’d pick a Scubapro MK2/R195 and get a G260 to put on it as a primary. Maybe a little over your budget but it’s top of the line. Then later that reg could be a backup or made into a pony reg and the G260 would go on a new balanced piston.
I was also looking at the DGX Gears Xtra balanced piston setup and thinking hmmm 🤔
But the only thing that bugs me about it is it’s made in Taiwan (which isn’t a problem in itself) but given the political climate with Taiwan and China I’m afraid it would become a door stop if parts were no longer available. If I bought one I’d buy about 10 service kits for it just in case.

@Eric Sedletzky if anything the stock situation should improve after Barings takes over because it won't be under as much debt. companies go through chapter 11 and reorg all the time. pretty much every single airline or car manufacturer has done so at some point.

By "cold water" do you mean "environmentally sealed"? Most off the shelf regulators will work in Monterey's cold water. Will you really be diving in water temps where a frozen regulator is an issue? That said, I would recommend an APEKs ATX50. I is the regulator I bought when I moved to Alaska from California. In two decades, I have not really had a problem with it. They are avaialable on the second hand market and if inspected and overhauled, should work fine.

I don’t know if you’ve been paying attention but Aqualung isn’t doing too hot right now. They are near bankruptcy and might be acquired by a private equity firm, and/or might even fold. People haven’t been able to get stuff serviced for a long time now, and their stock is miserable. I’d avoid Aqualung like the plague.

If you’re not interested in self servicing tour regs and want a brand that’s pretty stable (now) and has popularity and good world wide support look at Scubapro.
I’m a piston fan myself so if it was me I’d pick a Scubapro MK2/R195 and get a G260 to put on it as a primary. Maybe a little over your budget but it’s top of the line. Then later that reg could be a backup or made into a pony reg and the G260 would go on a new balanced piston.
I was also looking at the DGX Gears Xtra balanced piston setup and thinking hmmm 🤔
But the only thing that bugs me about it is it’s made in Taiwan (which isn’t a problem in itself) but given the political climate with Taiwan and China I’m afraid it would become a door stop if parts were no longer available. If I bought one I’d buy about 10 service kits for it just in case.

Poo. I seem to have missed that. Might explain why I'm experiencing some serious issues with my current order. Best I make some phone calls quick smart.

Oh, this part I didn't know. I haven't had the need to buy diving equipment for a long time. It is just my observation of what local divers generally use. Thank for sharing.

My main setup consists of Atomic, scubapro and HOG. I self service all of them, all are very simple. I have the previous version of G260, the G250V. From breathing efforts, it is the best of what I have, it edges out Atomic. HOG is also solid, just now as well build as the big brands. I will be happy with it if it is all I have too.

And BTW, HOG 2nd stage is the heaviest amongst HOG > G250V > Atomic M1 > Atomic B2. HOG is almost 2x the weight of Atomic B2 if that matters at all

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom