Good cold water beginner regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbennett4001

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am a cold water diver based in San Francisco and mostly diving in Monterey with 33 dives. I am currently looking into getting my own gear and am trying to find a good cost-efficient regulator that will fit my needs. I'm looking for a Reg/Octo package preferably under $500. I have all but settled on the Sherwood Brut, but want to make sure that there isn't another regulator out there that would work better for me.

As @rsingler has said, Sherwood builds a good regulator, but doesn't seem to get the love bestowed on them.

Whatever you buy, you need to identify a support source for when service is needed. That may drive your choices to what is sold and serviced locally (convenience).

There are really a lot of good options out there.

This is a SUPERIOR regulator to the Brut and a MUCH better one:

@BoltSnap unless if you want to send OP a free octo, that won't fit their budget. its closer to 700 with a matching octo at MSRP.

@jbennett4001 take a look at deep 6 excursion, DGX D6, or hog. not sure dive rite XT can fit that budget.

@BoltSnap unless if you want to send OP a free octo, that won't fit their budget. its closer to 700 with a matching octo at MSRP.

There is usually a substantial discount if you buy them as a set at the same time. The OP can skip few meals, drink less and stay home for a couple of weeks and he will very well afford it :)

There are many good choices from all the major and internet brands. Perhaps it would help if you explained why you chose the Sherwood Brut, that would help us understand your priorities. It is not the one I would have chosen given the rest of your post.

I dive a LOT in NorCal waters from Monterey to our lakes and rivers. I have been diving the Oceanic Zeo since 2021 and have never had an issue. It's solid and never have had a single issue. I service it every 6 months and it continues to be a good reg. My daughter dove the Atomic M-1 for over 130 dives here as well (since upgraded her to the Atomic T-25. Hey, your daughters only turn 16 once, and when they are your favorite dive buddy, ya just do it...) and never had an issue.

I know you said your price range was $500 for both the Reg and Octo, but would encourage you to either spend a bit more for better quality. Give the Zeo or M-1 a look. Someone mentioned the Zeagle which is a good one too.

@rhwestfall there is always mailing out, but Monterey Bay Diving in sand city is a commercial repair outfit that makes it less of an issue to get servicing for those not looking to DIY
As I said, "may"....

Here's what I would do with your budget. I have purchased from these folks twice with no issues.

$395 plus shipping.

Back
Top Bottom