Genesis Reg or Octi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChelZone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all. Am new to diving and am looking at some gear. My husband is a diver and has this Genesis as his Octi. I suspect it is a primary reg but can't seem to find any information about it. He bought his gear quite some time ago so it is probably an old model.

Can anyone help me confirm whether or not this is a primary reg or an octi please? It has been serviced just recently and am hoping I can steal it from him and use it as my reg until I can get my own shiny new one :wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 104
It's your choice octo or primary. Other than color rings on the outside, octos and primarys of most brands- as long as you stick with the same model- are the same inside. There are some cheapie octos that are designed as octos only but this is not one of them. You may want to talk with the tech who serviced it. Many times a tech will detune an octo a little to help prevent freeflows rather than adjust it to perform at it's best. If this is the case, it's easily corrected, otherwise there is no reason to use it as a primary.

ChelZone,

Welcome to Scuba Board.

Herman is correct (he always is) in his post re: octo/primary usually being the same; however, lets have another picture or two of this particular second stage. It looks like there is a corrugated hose attached to this unit. Has someone has decided that would make a decent ornament for a low pressure hose? Typically, a corrugated hose is attached to a power inflator or octo/power inflator combo.

Couv

I have found a picture posted by someone selling their set on the net. As you can see from their picture, that is how it came (with the hose cover/protector attached).

I guess this answers my question though. The person selling their set had the matching yellow trimmed Octi and the green one was their regulator.

Herman, thanks for the in-depth explanation. It was extremely useful.

Attachments

• Genesis Set.jpg
    Genesis Set.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 165
You are welcome and welcome to the board.
I really try Couv...I mess up on occasion but hopefully not too often. :)

I have found a picture posted by someone selling their set on the net. As you can see from their picture, that is how it came (with the hose cover/protector attached).

I guess this answers my question though. The person selling their set had the matching yellow trimmed Octi and the green one was their regulator.

Herman, thanks for the in-depth explanation. It was extremely useful.
First stage: GF100 Unbalanced GENESIS

Second stage: Valor GR230 GENESIS

Octopus: Valor octopus GS030 GENESIS

Second stage and octopus are the same except the color.

JF

First stage: GF100 Unbalanced GENESIS

Second stage: Valor GR230 GENESIS

Octopus: Valor octopus GS030 GENESIS

Second stage and octopus are the same except the color.

JF

You're a legend! Thanks. Much appreciated. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom