What's the difference in Atomic Ti models?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all,

I do a lot of travel with my gear, and carry on my mask and reg. I have an Atomic B2 that I love, but the first stage weighs a ton, plus I carry the yolk converter, as I do mainly DIN in the U.S. Even the hoses weigh a bunch.

My carry-on got weighed in Australia, and they didn't want to let it on because it was 18 lbs, 3 lbs over the 15 lb limit! I finally got them to let me pass, but it wasn't easy. You'll be proud to know my reg weighed more than my clothes!

I use EAN at less than 40% as I'm a rec diver and will never go tech (I say never because I'm older and I've got other hobbies I'd rather get more serious about - photography and motorcycling). I won't go below 50 degree water (found in L.A. in the winter).

So I'm looking to buy a used Atomic Ti and switch the hoses to MiFlex, but I can't really sort out the difference in features/age on the Ti models. Please tell me about (and I'm not sure if my model number are correct, of if there are more or less):

T1
T2
Ti2
T1x
T2x

TIA (that's "thanks in advance," not another reg model :) )

The bigger numbers mean that it's a newer, revised and hopefully improved model. The X designation means the same. Once there was a T1 and then there was a T2 and now there's a T2X.

From what I understand, the old T2 can either be used for air or Nitrox and can't be switched back and forth while the T2X is non-dedicated.

If you buy a used titanium reg, then send it back to Atomic to see if they can upgrade the innards so that it can function as a non-dedicated reg.

It's all just graphics.

It doesn't matter which ones you get, I have bought Atomic Titanium regulators allthough the life of atomic. I own first stage number 37, which was a dive shop demo model that originally came with a clear second stage. That's right, just like a clear mask skirt, it got all mungy in a season.
Anyway, the x designation means it has an environmental seal. The environmental seal keeps water out of the first stage to help prevent corrosion of the main spring, and to help prevent gumming up the works. It was also meant to stop icing up of the regulator. Not important to you. You don't need an 'x' unluss you are in muddy water you can't see in or ice diving.

No matter which one you do end up with you want to make sure you have a jet seat piston. If you buy used, take it into the atomic technician and have a rebuild done on it. Ask the technician to make sure there is a jet seat piston in it, and have him/her pay careful attention to the condition of the main spring. If there is any rust on it, replace it. I have had 2 fail on my first 2 Atomics. If the main spring fails, no air is delivered. Both were caught when I serviced them and not on a dive.

Frank

The weight difference in the big scheme of things is nil. My best advise is to save the money and buy a pair of pants with big pockets and a set of suspenders. Then pick up photographer's vest. You can put a lot of crap in them, from first stages to batteries.

If you really want a Ti reg here are some additional comment regarding the spring and piston - the reg will more than likely have the older piston if the cap on the top of the first stage looks like a doughnut. The cap should completely cover the top if it has the newer piston. Some of the early Atomic regs did have spring problems. If you have one that needs replaced let me know I recently inheirited three springs that are new.

Also I have noticed people selling Ti regs that were not. Ti regs will have a satin finish to them - whereas brass/chrome plated will be shinny.

Last edited:
......well, I've got a new T2 and an 'old' M1 (actually was a B1 I converted into an M1...with the jet seat piston/extended exhaust-T/SS cave ring/M1 purge cover/swivel hose for 2nd stage). The T2 looks pretty slick, but I'm not sure the price is worth the weight savings.....I bought mine barely used.....paid $ 850 for my T2 + titanium DIN-to-yoke converter.......retail on that 'combo' is $ 1900. Heck, just the titanium 'converter' retails for $ 350....but picked one up @ Scubatoys for $ 250.......since I saved $ 1000-ish on everything I was willing to spring for the T2. I've just added MIFLEX hoses to both my Atomics.....installed blue spiral hose wraps on both primary 2nd-stage hoses (because I wanted to keep using the Atomic OEM standard swivel hoses)...and installed blue spiral hose wrap on both AI Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II 'hosed' computers......attached Cochran GEMINI AI wireless 3-gas computers to both units...as well as new Poseidon analog SPG's......and finally added to both units an Apeks Express octo.....a couple of new BLACK Seacures to the 'primaries', and of course, assorted SS clips to keep everything 'tidy'. So now I've got a pair of almost identical rigged Atomics....they look pretty slick !

......well, I've got a new T2 and an 'old' M1 (actually was a B1 I converted into an M1...with the jet seat piston/extended exhaust-T/SS cave ring/M1 purge cover/swivel hose for 2nd stage). The T2 looks pretty slick, but I'm not sure the price is worth the weight savings.....I bought mine barely used.....paid $ 850 for my T2 + titanium DIN-to-yoke converter.......retail on that 'combo' is $ 1900. Heck, just the titanium 'converter' retails for $ 350....but picked one up @ Scubatoys for $ 250.......since I saved $ 1000-ish on everything I was willing to spring for the T2. I've just added MIFLEX hoses to both my Atomics.....installed blue spiral hose wraps on both primary 2nd-stage hoses (because I wanted to keep using the Atomic OEM standard swivel hoses)...and installed blue spiral hose wrap on both AI Oceanic DataMax Pro Plus II 'hosed' computers......attached Cochran GEMINI AI wireless 3-gas computers to both units...as well as new Poseidon analog SPG's......and finally added to both units an Apeks Express octo.....a couple of new BLACK Seacures to the 'primaries', and of course, assorted SS clips to keep everything 'tidy'. So now I've got a pair of almost identical rigged Atomics....they look pretty slick !

If only you had a steel 130 and a dive boat that would give you a 3500 PSI fill.

If only you had a steel 130 and a dive boat that would give you a 3500 PSI fill.

....how very true.....I've got a PST HP 130, but a certain boat whose name I won't mention..... :) relocated to sunny Florida, so yea, I'm 'stuck' with FLING.....

I'll be in the FG for September..

I'll be in the FG for September..

....you will ??? !!! :) ....so may I ask what's the occasion ? ....less hurricanes in TX vs FL that time of year...or do you just miss us Texans ? :)

....you will ??? !!! :) ....so may I ask what's the occasion ? ....less hurricanes in TX vs FL that time of year...or do you just miss us Texans ? :)

Got a research group moving us back, forth, and paying us in between. Threw a couple of sport trips on, as well as a mooring buoy trip. Of course I miss the Flower Gardens. Was there ever any doubt? I still think the diving here is as good, just different.

Back
Top Bottom