open end wrench size for low pressure Hose ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marmagi

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,

The end of the low pressure and high pressure hoses are threated in the 1st stage regulator with what size open end tool wrech?

is it imperial or metric size? are all the low and high pressure hoses same size? standard?

Thanks

Mario

ok thanks alot, and in the metric side of the world? what is it?

Thirteen, 14, 15, 16mm subjectively.

Last edited:
There's some variation between brands; but since scuba equipment is marketed worldwide, I'd think the threading and hex sizes wouldn't differ for a given model on various sides of various ponds. I'd bet the fittings on the Sherwood regulators sold and used in Europe, and those on the Mares regulators sold and used here in the U.S., are identical.

I travel with a universal scuba tool that has most of the correct-size open-end wrenches, and also take a small adjustable wrench just in case -- and for when I need to use two wrenches, as in tightening or removing a second stage from its second-stage hose.

As far as I know, on almost all modern regulators, the LP vs. HP hoses are different sizes -- as halemano said, usually 9/16" and 5/8" threading, respectively. We have one Sherwood Brut from 1985 where all the ports are 9/16" (with only an "HP" marking), and we have to use an adapter for the HP hose on that one.

Last edited:
Some European made units are metric. I have two Poseidon regulators and most of the hex nuts are metric on the outside, but the actual threaded part is a universal thread and size.

If the regulator is American made you can bet that the wrench size is Imperial.

I carry two adjustable spanners (adjustable Cresent wreinch) and four hex keys (Allen wrench), two Imperial and two Metric that fit all the port plug sizes. If you use a high quality adjustable wrench it should not have any slop in it so it should not slip when you use it. If you cary a cheap sdjustable wrench than you need to be very causious and make sure it is closed down snug on the nut before you apply torque or it might slip and round the nut. Because scuba equipment is usually crome plated it is pretty hard and I have never rounded any fittings.

Remember, the hose fitting are sealed with an o-ring so they do NOT need to be tightened more than what it takes to keep them from spinning. Just go far enough so you can not turn the nut with your fingers, no more than that.

If you must have spanners that fit each size fitting, take you regulator to a tool store and try some spanners on each nut. Then you will know what you need. Here in the U.S. we have a really cool store called "Sears" that always has a complete tool section whith every size spanner you can imagine (shore of industrial size oil rig wrenches).

If you use a high quality adjustable wrench it should not have any slop in it so it should not slip when you use it. If you cary a cheap sdjustable wrench than you need to be very causious and make sure it is closed down snug on the nut before you apply torque or it might slip and round the nut. Because scuba equipment is usually crome plated it is pretty hard and I have never rounded any fittings.

Metric/Imperial aside the above is a good point. I have a nice 6" adjustable wrench that I carry in my kit which opens to just over 1-1/8". For those in the states:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00944713000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

I agree with the adjustable wrench. Just have to carry one and you don't have to worry about metric or imperial or size. Just adjust it and you're all set.

Half inch, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16 subjectively.
Port sizes, 3/8, 7/16 universal respectively.
With older HP threads being 3/8 with some LP 1/2 thrown in around the place.
Half inch hex won't let an adjustable in, between the first and the swage unless it is narrow.
The Scuba-tool when it fits if it fits the right way is scheisdreck and with other ill fitting in those awkward places tools will gouge and mark your works of art generally exacerbated by overtightening etc etc.

Suggestions of finding a gaggle of tools that fit is number one.

What was the question? Oh yeah.
Why does an imperial scuba-tool also have a 15mm open ender?
What is an *ahem*?

Back
Top Bottom