Shelf life

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dahammer

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Long story short, I use to be an avid diver and was certified as a PADI rescue diver many years ago. The wife and I started having little ones and the diving stopped, except for on vacations. I have an Apeks TX50/TX40 reg set that I had serviced/overhauled about 5 years ago and it has been sitting on a shelf in my closet ever since. We are headed to Jamaica in a couple weeks and I was thinking about carrying the reg set, since my dive computer is attached to it. My question is do you guys think the reg will be ok since it hasn’t been used in so long? I’d take it to the shop and get them to service it again, but it’s over 100 miles away and I’m just not going to have time before we go. The other option is to just use the resort’s gear, which is what I did last year when we were down there. But because it’s been a year since I’ve been diving they’ll require me to do skill drills with them in the pool before we hit the open water. I thought it would be a perfect time to verify the reg but I a little hesitant.

Don't hesitate, take your rig along:
  1. I'm pretty sure it'll work
  2. You'll have time to check it out in the pool
  3. It's much better than the average rental rig
And if you have access to a tank, do a check according to couv's commandments.

One of the best things about Apeks regs is their ability to withstand extended service intervals.
Why not mail order an intermediate pressure gauge for about $20 and check it out yourself.

Odds are it wil be fine. The most likely problem will be a slight freeflow due to a LP seat that has taken a set. This is not so much a problem as it is a minor adjustment which you can do yourself if you feel comfortable doing it. If you can get your hands on a tank before hand to check it out is your best option and based on the discussions we have had on this board, the last thing you want to do is have it serviced if you can't do a few test dives on it before leaving on vacation. What I would do if I did not have a tank handy would be to take the necessary tools with me to tweak the second stage if necessary. Grab a tank ASAP and do a quick check once I got there. All this is assuming the last service was done correctly, which may or may not be a good one.

I've got a couple tanks that are full, I'd just have to swap the yoke back to DIN in order to connect them. The fills are also 5 years old, hehe, but I'm sure they'll suffice for testing the regs out. Which reminds me, I probably should just sell the tanks since I never use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom