Time for new hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
well, it's been a bit since my gear has seen some water and time in shipping containers weren't kind to it. With this year's reg overhaul (first in probably 5 years) I think I'll be replacing the hoses as well.

What's cool now? what should I consider before heading to the shop? I'm currently on a long hose for my prime.

Personally I like Miflex braided hoses. I say miflex as opposed to generic braided hoses simply because fittings are all same sizes i.e. 14mm and 17mm and can use a spanner whereas generic hoses tend to vary hose to hose, crappy QC ?, and you need an adjustable spanner, it irritates me.

Braided hoses do tend to be a bit floaty when they are long. I use 40" primary so no such concern.

I prefer rubber, particularly for my long hose. Not as floaty and doesn't rub the neck raw. Easier to visually inspect as well.

its swinging back to rubber. no chafing issues and a more forgiving failure mode along with easier to keep tight against the body. braided inflator hoses and hp hoses work ok though. i haven't had my piranha ultraflex hoses long enough to say if they last as well as conventional reinforced hoses, but they are an alternative if you need the flexibility of braided while sticking with rubber.

Each to their own but I like the braided hoses from Miflex and from Piranha especially. I have never noted any chaffing and I run a 60 inches primary hose typically. Yes, a 72 can get floaty (edit-and kink due to the way it must be stowed) and even a 60 inches hose can float a little. After going to 60 inches for all my primary hoses I am now drifting back to a 40 inches preference, for other reasons. Mostly Minimalism.

My regulators that I use for local diving may still have rubber hoses. Local being if I can get in my Toyota and drive to the desitnation. But if I have to pack it all in suitcases and get on an airliner, make mine braided please. Every ounce counts as I sit here, packing for a trip next week, contemplating two bags hovering at 50 pounds and I still have a pile of stuff I need to bring. And braided hoses cut a regulator sets weight down by at least a pound or more in long hose configurations. For two sets that is an easy two or three pounds. I do change out hoses on a five year interval regardless of type.

I like Miflex and use them, but NOT for long hoses. They kink big time. I won’t use them for a 40” either. For shorter stuff, they’re great. Otherwise, rubber.

I have contimplated this same dilema, what I have found in research is those who like Miflex do not like it for long hoses for several reasons, kinks & chafing. To get the benefit from travel you should change all hoses ot Miflex because the long hoses contribute to the weight. So, if you use a short hose and travel for diving then I suggest Miflex, if however, most of your diving is local or you use a long hose than stick with rubber except maybe the HP hoses, it is a personal choice if you want to mix hose types on your kit. Personally, I keep to a single type. I dive mostly locally, so I have stuck with rubber, but it is really a personal choice.

Deep 6 has some good prices on rubber.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom