Will this kit allow to dive in cold water (4C)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrancisK7

Contributor
Reaction score
Heya guys! I'm a brand spanking new diver, presently finishing OWD certification. I am from Montreal, QC (Canada), and will be getting certified on October 22nd... in 4C degrees water :coolsnow: School will be loaning 14mm wetsuits for the occasion (and other equipment), but this brings me to my next question.

I've already scheduled my first diving trip for early January in the PDC/Cozumel area, and would like to buy my own gear. I've been researching gear quite extensively, and with some nice help from the Cozumel forum regular posters, I've became familiar with the LDS/Online Shop debate and they've also helped me by answering some basic questions. However, I do require some more technical advice on whether the gear I intend to purchase would allow me to dive locally.

Most water bodies in Quebec and Ontario sport very cold water. According to our phenomenal instructor who's got 2000+ dives under his belt, the best season to dive in Quebec is in the Fall. I'd also be interested in taking the course to dive under ice, as it is supposedly awesome. This means many potential dives in 4C degrees water. Following some research (mainly on those boards), I built myself a "kit", but would like afterthoughts on its potential to dive here at home.

Atomic Z2 Octo Yellow
Cressi-sub Miniconsole 2 gauge console spg and depth
Suunto Zoop Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer
Atomic B2 Regulator Sealed Din or Yoke
Bare Blackwing BCD

I picked these following posts here, ability to service the regs (there's only one authorized Atomic dealer in Canada, situated in BC. The same company also is the official distributor for Bare products, which is why I decided on a Bare BC... that, and it's presently on sale at the shop in question :)).

From my own research it would work fine locally, but I want to make sure.

The Atomic as a sealed unit will be fine in nut numbing water.

With the Zoop you will not need a depth gauge unless you want it as a backup. Just a SPG will do.

I don't think the Octo is sealed though... should I get a sealed backup source too?

Thanks for the gauge tip!

Atomics are very nice regs but are a piston design and like all piston regs are more susceptible to icing in very cold water.
The manufacturers of piston regs try to mitigate this design problem by various methods but they (piston 1st stages) will never beat a diaphragm 1st stage in resistance to freeze.
You should look at getting a diaphragm 1st stage.
Apeks
HOG
Scubapro Mk17
Zeagle
AquaLung

Last edited:
....oh, and do yourself a favor and check out a BP&W for your buoyancy control.

Atomics are very nice regs but are a piston design and like all piston regs are more susceptible to icing in very cold water.
The manufacturers of piston regs try to mitigate this design problem by various methods but they (piston 1st stages) will never beat a diaphragm 1st stage in resistance to freeze.
You should look at getting a diaphragm 1st stage.
Apeks
HOG
Scubapro Mk17
Zeagle
AquaLung

+1, although I would add Oceanic and Hollis to the list.

I have (actually my wife has...) an Atomic B2 which I have used in very cold water (2 or 3 C) and have not had an issue. You will probably be fine, try not to overbreath the reg. Diaphragm regs are intrinsically sealed and are generally considered to be a superior design for coldwater regs. Also check out some other forums here about avoiding freezing. You will get alot of good advice (like don't breath the reg before you get in the water).

I don't think the Octo is sealed though... should I get a sealed backup source too?

Thanks for the gauge tip!

Its the first stage that is sealed. The octo will be fine.

The most glaring ommission from your gear list IMO is a drysuit. You will definitly enjoy cold water diving much more in a drysuit. Expensive, but probably the most important piece of cold water gear.

Which BP&W would you recommend?

I have not added any suit to my list because I've been dropping a lot of weight this year... 45 lbs so far, with another 20 lbs to go. It is my understanding that wetsuits are not very forgiving for drastic weight losses. Drysuits are probably more forgiving, but I won't be diving in cold water on the short term, and the gear is expensive enough as it is, so the drysuit will come later (but I do plan on getting one).

There's not a huge difference between BP&W's.....Deep Sea Supply have good support here.
Get a steel plate with additional weight (removable for travel) and the smallest wing you can get away with.

3° C - 4°C that only equals out to 37.4° F. All I can say is OMG!!! My wife thinks I am crazy for wanting to 56° F water here in Oregon and Washington. Good luck there FrancisK7, I hope you stay nice and warm in that freezing a$$ water...:coffee:

Back
Top Bottom