Aqualung Legend LX vs. ScubaPro MK25/A700

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leeksallovertheplace

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just looking for some opinions/comments on these two regs. I've put the Legend up on a pedestal, and would like to compare the two.

I've heard that ScubaPro's parts for life doesn't apply unless you buy reg/BC/computer all at the same time, which I think is TOTAL BS (but please correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks all!

---------- Post added March 19th, 2013 at 08:10 PM ----------

Should of added more detail. I'm a cold water diver from Newfoundland, Canada. I dive regularly in 0 degree C water (32F).

According to the mfg that's correct. Ya gotta buy the whole shebang.

And you get kicked out of Aqualung's if you decide that you don't need to have your reg serviced every year.

Which you don't. Many regs used for recreational diving do not need an annual service. Unless you're doing a couple hundred dives a year. I like brands that let me service my own, on my schedule, and at my discretion with no penalty. And where I don't pay for the "free parts" on the front end.

If you want scubapro go with A700/MK17 instead of MK25. Its a better reg for cold water and cheaper too.
Aqualung is a great option as well. Metal A700 does have an advantage over plastic 2nds as it retain moisture better so the cotton mouth problem is less apparent. I dive metal stages 80 of the time now and never miss plastic.

Free parts for life is not free. You just pay for it in advance :)

Take a look at Atomic as well. I doubt I'll ever own another brand again. 2 year service interval is great as well.

Take a look at Atomic as well. I doubt I'll ever own another brand again. 2 year service interval is great as well.

The new Atomic T3 has a three year service interval :)

I am not a parts for life fan, but if I were, I go with Atomic since they do not toss you for missing a service.

Well now that we have digressed from the Aqualung v. ScubaPro query posed by the OP to a Hog, Atomic melee, why not open the floodgates to allow entry of any off-topic regulator? Poseidon, Sherwood, La Spirotechnique, Mares, Cressi, Apeks, Beuchat, Dive Rite, hey the barn door is open, why not even suggest some of the discontinued brands such as Healthways, Voit, US Divers, Dacor......

The OP specifically asked a question concerning opinions on only TWO regulators: The Aqualung Legend LX and the ScubaPro Mk25/A700. IMO both are excellent warm water regulators that surpass the needs of the recreational diver (130 ft maximum depth). You can't go wrong with either regulator. The A700 will be less prone to giving you "cotton mouth" as it is a metal second stage, neither regulator should be purchased solely because of the "free parts for life" gimmick, as others have pointed out, because of the required annual service intervals and/or purchasing of other equipment for eligibility is a means of having you pay for the "free". Get ahold of both regulators (hopefully side by side at a LDS who distributes both brands) and go with the reg that you like best in terms of features and style. Both brands are serviced world-wide, both have reputations as being "bulletproof" and both are benchmark standards for others in the industry. You can't go wrong with either.

If as you mentioned in your addendum, you are a cold water diver, then consider the Supreme version of the Legend and the Mk17 version of the ScubaPro as these are the environmentally sealed first stages needed in order to dive in water below 10 degrees Celcius.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom