1st Time Regulator Purchase Needing Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Evan Soon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am thinking of purchasing my own set of regulator in the coming month or 2 and have been looking at HOG regs. Was thinking of D3(not sure cold or not) with Zenith.

I am living in Malaysia and mainly diving around south east asia where water isn't that cold. Main reason I am looking for HOG is because comments are good and the price is cheaper compared to others.

Here is the problem that I would require some help with after going to the only shop in Malaysia that sells HOGs. The owner told me that I should not consider D3 and Zenith but rather go for D1 and the Classic 2nd stage due to reasons below.

1. D3 is thin and long while D1 is more compact - I am not sure why this is given as a reason but I guess head knocking as a reason?
2. D1 has been tested and proven by many divers of it's stability compared to D3
3. The Classic 2nd stage is more solid and easier to service compared to Zenith and many divers like it better
4. The Classic is made out of aluminium compared to Zenith (not sure what its made of)
5. Shape of the Classic makes the cap easier to replace with other brand cap compared to Zenith in case of malfunction during a trip

What would your opinion be? I am worried that the main reason they would tell me this is because they would want to clear their existing stock which many shops here would do.

Honestly both you and the dive shop have valid points. They could be wanting to clear out inventory but the D1 and Classic are both tried and true. I have no experience with the D3 and Zenith so I can't rebut anything the dive shop told you. However, I bought Hog products for the same reason as you...budget, and I have been very happy with my D1 and Classic 2nds as well as my mask and light. Everyone I know that has HOG products has been happy with them as well. I'm not trying to sound like a HOG fanatic because there is better out there. Remember the saying that you get what you pay for. In my experience with HOG I believe they are an up and comer and that they try to produce quality dive gear and based on that I wouldn't be afraid to purchase any of their products.

I am thinking of purchasing my own set of regulator in the coming month or 2 and have been looking at HOG regs. Was thinking of D3(not sure cold or not) with Zenith.

I am living in Malaysia and mainly diving around south east asia where water isn't that cold. Main reason I am looking for HOG is because comments are good and the price is cheaper compared to others.

Here is the problem that I would require some help with after going to the only shop in Malaysia that sells HOGs. The owner told me that I should not consider D3 and Zenith but rather go for D1 and the Classic 2nd stage due to reasons below.

1. D3 is thin and long while D1 is more compact - I am not sure why this is given as a reason but I guess head knocking as a reason?
2. D1 has been tested and proven by many divers of it's stability compared to D3
3. The Classic 2nd stage is more solid and easier to service compared to Zenith and many divers like it better
4. The Classic is made out of aluminium compared to Zenith (not sure what its made of)
5. Shape of the Classic makes the cap easier to replace with other brand cap compared to Zenith in case of malfunction during a trip

What would your opinion be? I am worried that the main reason they would tell me this is because they would want to clear their existing stock which many shops here would do.

1. The D3 is a bit thinner than the d1 at the turret. This is so that in some setups hose routing is made a little easier as the hoses on the turret will all clear the DIN wheel. Allowing for full rotation. It does not affect your head since the turret is pointed down in a single tank or down and slightly cocked for doubles or maybe sidemount.
2. The D1 & D3 use the same service kit. Some internal mods give the D3 better air flow. But it is also a proven and tested design.
3. The Classic and the Zenith are the same internally. Same service kits, same procedure, same case. They breathe the same. Both cases are polycarbonate.
4. The classic faceplate retainer is aluminum. That's it. Again other than the faceplates the regs are the same.
5. Actually with heavy gloves on Zenith is easier to remove and it's a one piece unit as opposed to two. So less chance of dropping the retainer or the face plate. Under some conditions I would choose the Zenith because of the one piece cover. If you dive in heavy surf or where there is a lot of surge picking up sand the Zenith is less likely to have a problem with grit getting caught in the purge. The standard faceplate can get a jam if the right size grain of sand gets stuck in it when depressing the purge. Not a big deal but can be annoying. Usually only takes pressing it a few times sharply to clear it but still. The soft cover options for the classic often solve this for divers but some don't care for them. The Zenith also has the bling factor. For some that's important. For me it would get scratched up pretty quick.
Either way you go they are great regs. It depends on your budget, personal tastes, and your diving conditions. I don't have a D3 & Zenith yet as I am still waiting for one of my D1 - Classic set ups to die. They just won't and I have a dozen of them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom