How often do you get your regs serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score

i have a set I bought in 2010, they have probably done 100 dives at most. Should I get them checked out?

I "check out" my regs at least a couple times a year. I only service them when I find a problem. That is usually 5 years or more. Some brands have a reputation for going quite a while between really needing service. I am diving some regs that have not been serviced in over 10 years.

i have a set I bought in 2010, they have probably done 100 dives at most. Should I get them checked out?

Are they still in use? Or have they been sitting? I serviced my regs only when required i.e. When IP starts creeping or if regs start to leak. If it ain't broke and all that. If you are unsure and/or cannot do any checks your self get it checked.

If its not broke, don't fix it. I have had regs that were fine when taking them into service and they come out worse than before because the tech didn't know what they were doing. Don't service them until you notice something wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

When they need it although sometimes the need may suddenly appear while underwater, but I dive with redundant gear unless I'm well within what I consider my safety zone. My regs get frequent use and don't sit on a shelf though.

If you don't dive with redundant gear (or a good buddy), I'd suggest the annual service.

If they're piston regs then you're supposed to get them serviced once a year, but now some manufacturers claim every two years and some even three? And as far as I know nothing has changed internally so I'm going to say the whole year thing is a BOS.
With piston regs they need to be lubed up every so often or else they dry out, and that's based on how much you use them. But the actual rebuild (replacing parts) I guess is when they need it (IP starts to get funky).

With diaphragm regs (my new favorite) the solid sealed diaphragm is the moving part instead of a piston sliding back and forth sealed with O-rings inside a cylinder. When diaphrams need to be replaced is when they start to get old and stiff and won't move as well thus hampering flow, but that could be years and years.
I have a few Conshelfs that have gone years without a rebuild and they are fine, rock steady, so I don't mess with them.

Last edited:
I service my own gear. Some regulators can go decades without anything but replacement of the occasional exhaust tee that gets torn or an exhaust valve or mouthpiece that the tabs get bitten off. However, I do clean my equipment and occasionally tear things down to check on parts that I know are corrosion prone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom