How do I loosen super tight reg hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregvdm

Registered
Reaction score
Picked up a miflex for my regs, went to remove the hoses from the first stage and whoever put them in really tightened those things badly. They won't move with spanners (my first stage is however a little awkward to get a spanner around the nut). Any ideas how to loosen the fitting so it can be removed?
Thanks

Unlikely it's the previous person going too tight, more likely corrosion or salt crystalyzation which is why the previous post for hot water is a good suggestion. Chucking the whole unit in an ultrasonic would also help

Put your first stage on a tank rather than trying to grip it with tools. This might give you a bit more leverage.

Can you get the hose nut in a vice and then turn on the reg body? I ahve had to do that a few times.

If by "spanner" you mean an adjustable wrench, well, that might be part of the problem. If they are not already now rounded off, get the correct size wrench and try again.

N

Sometimes hoses are put on a smidge too tight at the factory. You should be able to free them up with:

1. The correct sized open end wrench (put the spanner back in the kitchen drawer where it belongs).
2. Now that you have the proper sized wrench, you should be able to "tap" the end of the wrench with the heel of your hand while applying steady pressure (in the correct direction!) to free it up. Just a quick light tap should do it.

A spanner is ok in a pinch, but for something that is well and truly stuck, use the correct wrench. Remember, the regulator is made of marine brass, and is softer than your wrench. Always use the correct-sized tools when doing any type of work on it.

Best wishes.

If by "spanner" you mean an adjustable wrench, well, that might be part of the problem. If they are not already now rounded off, get the correct size wrench and try again.

N

Of course it might depend where OP is from, we in the antipodes call a wrench a "spanner".

Yeah apologies, I'm from an odd country where as fish pie said wrench=spanner. Thanks for the help guys, a long soak in hot water seemed to be the thing for it, loosened it up enough to get it off. Much appreciate the help for a noob like me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom