Red Filter for DC1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwlmgold

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I dive with a GoPro as well as a Sealife DC600 (upgrading to a DC1400). Red filters are all the rage in diving with a GoPro in ambient light and they improve the out of camera video product considerably. Does anyone know of a red filter for the DC1400? Ideally it would be removable for taking pictures with a strobe. Some of our dive shop photo buffs now have them for SLR cameras in expensive housings. I am surprised an on line search does not return one for SeaLife.

I thought that was built into the shooting settings of the Sea Life cameras.

Perhaps it is but I have seen a lot of photos and media where the white balance correction is not evident. Most video I have seen does not compare with the GoPro with a red filter. Perhaps folks leave the white balance correction off. You would have to toggle it on and off between video without a video light and photos with a strobe. I might more easily remember to put a filter on and off for video.

Dandy Don is correct. For pics when on dive mode WB, it adds red to the image. It also automatically adds it when you switch it to video mode (try turning it to video mode on dry land and you'll see how red the LCD screen is). However, this is really only effective to 40 feet or so. I typically do manual white balance, but even then I can't seem to get it right. The GoPro has much better white balance and will take far better video, but the SeaLife will take far better pictures. I prefer the latter since you can't hang a video on the wall.

Setting the white balance is important. I cave dive so when I get to the white sign in a cave I set my white balance on the white sign. I have had no problems with either Video or Still shots after making that adjustment. From 5 feet to 140 feet of depth the results are the same, Perfect.
I am very happy with the SeaLife DC 1400, Sea Dragon 2000, and my strobe.

Setting the white balance is important. I cave dive so when I get to the white sign in a cave I set my white balance on the white sign. I have had no problems with either Video or Still shots after making that adjustment. From 5 feet to 140 feet of depth the results are the same, Perfect.
I am very happy with the SeaLife DC 1400, Sea Dragon 2000, and my strobe.

I think we're (or at least I was) mainly talking about using manual white balance with natural light only (cave diving pics/video is using external lighting). If that's what you were referring to as well, do you have any unaltered examples you can share? I'm curious if I'm just doing something wrong...lol.

Its got a dive and snorkel depth red adjustment,just open the menu. 3 buttons to switch on or off for when you'd use flash or natural lighting

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

Its got a dive and snorkel depth red adjustment,just open the menu. 3 buttons to switch on or off for when you'd use flash or natural lighting

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

As I said, that's only effective to about 40 feet or so (at least in my experience), making the manual white balance a better option past that. I was very glad they added the hot key for MWB to the DC1400, though. That was a huge improvement.

I've never been pleased with the automatic red adjustment in the DC1400. It never compared well with my friend's Canon with red filter.

Soooo... What's the final consensus from this thread? :confused:
I'm having the exact same problem, and I'm frustrated to no end after coming back from Belize and from Cozumel where my videos and pictures look rather blue/green and dull :depressed:
How do we get the 1400 to work better? I've considered getting a go pro, but the quality of the camera itself seems horrendous.

---------- Post added August 16th, 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

Don,
Are those picks on your site really taken with the DC1400?!?!?!?
PLEASE teach us how you're doing it... the pictures are beautiful...
Is it really JUST the white balance adjustment???
I'm assuming you're not doing the "basic" piano key easy setup? Because, I know that's not working...
How are you setting your white balance and choosing the settings? Is that the only thing you're doing?

---------- Post added August 16th, 2014 at 07:26 PM ----------

As I said, that's only effective to about 40 feet or so (at least in my experience), making the manual white balance a better option past that. I was very glad they added the hot key for MWB to the DC1400, though. That was a huge improvement.

Don,
Are those picks on your site really taken with the DC1400?!?!?!?
PLEASE teach us how you're doing it... the pictures are beautiful...
Is it really JUST the white balance adjustment???
I'm assuming you're not doing the "basic" piano key easy setup? Because, I know that's not working...
How are you setting your white balance and choosing the settings? Is that the only thing you're doing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom