New here, intro and quick question :)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philipraposo1982

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have always loved to swim and snorkel and decided that it was finally time to get some decent gear. My girlfriend tried snorkeling for the first time last year when we were in Cuba but had gear that just didn't fit right which made for a difficult first time.

Her birthday just passed and I got her a full set of quality snorkel gear which she is eager to try.

For myself I purchased:
Cressi reaction pro fins
Oceanic ultra dry snorkel
Hollis m3 mask

For my girlfriend I bought:
Mares wave fins
Oceanic ultra dry mini
Scubapro spectra mask

So now for my question. Is it okay to use our equipment at the public pool (rec centre)? I mean will the pool chemicals damage our new gear in any way? I would like to get my girl some practice time before our next snorkeling adventure. I would obviously hose it off very well with fresh water and let air dry afterwards.

Thoughts?

Over time exposure to chlorine will cause some breakdown. But unless you snorkel in the pool daily for the next year or so it won't be an issue...:wink:

Great, that's good to hear :)

I just thought of something else. Do the lenses on the mask have to be cleaned or something before first use? Any protection layer on there?

What's the best way to clean the lenses?

Great, that's good to hear :)

I just thought of something else. Do the lenses on the mask have to be cleaned or something before first use? Any protection layer on there?

What's the best way to clean the lenses?

[video=youtube;TxywBgSkBe4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxywBgSkBe4[/video]

The idea of putting a flame to it terrifies me, but I will do the toothpaste method. Thank you.

---------- Post added May 27th, 2015 at 02:53 AM ----------

I am already reading about how this is no actual film on the lenses of masks... Seems like using toothpaste which has an abrasive would only scratch the new lenses. Right?

On some masks you will wish for something more abrasive before you get the film off.

Before using the mask for the first time I take a regular "soft" (not medium) bristle toothbrush with a little dab of Crest ORIGINAL toothpaste and scrub the inside really good. Do NOT use the gel toothpastes, use the original paste-type. Scrub for a good minute or 2 and get a make a nice lather. When you're done, just rinse it well in the sink to get all of the toothpaste out. I usually do it twice just to make sure I've got it really clean. Then when you go to use the mask, you can use a variety of products for a defog such as Sea Drops or Spit brand (you get those at a dive shop), diluted baby shampoo, or just good old spit. I've tried them all and am having really good luck lately with just diluted baby shampoo. I take a 3oz travel size spray bottle, put a little squirt of the shampoo in it (doesn't take much), fill the rest of the bottle with water & shake it up to mix. Then just before you get in the water, spray a couple of squirts inside the mask covering the whole lens, let it sit for 30 seconds or so and then swish a tiny amount of water inside just to rinse the excess out. (I've even let mine just dry with no issues.) The secret is once you've done that, keep the mask out of the water before you put it on your face to snorkel/dive, otherwise you'll rinse the mix off and your mask will fog up in a few minutes and you'll have to repeat the process again. Best part all is it's cheap (vs. commercial stuff), you'll have soft eyebrows and no more tears when you're done! :)

I use my mask, snorkel and fins in a pool regularly - twice a week for underwater rugby and Freedive training with no issues. And for several years I was in the pool with gear 3 times each week at least.

The amount of time you will be in the pool will not be an issue.

Thanks folks. I have read read hat some masks shouldn't be pretreated because they already have a layer on there.

Back
Top Bottom