Peace, Conception, Truth or Vision?

Which boat would you choose for a 2 or 3 day trip to Northern Channel Islands?

• The Peace

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • The Truth

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • The Conception

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • The Vision

Votes: 10 13.3%
  • I don't know, just want to see the answers.

Votes: 32 42.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Taxgeek

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So which of these do you all prefer, for 2 or 3 day trips, other factors such as destination being equal?

I know there are some Truth Aquatics captains that people particularly like - which ones?

The Peace has a hottub, that's good too. And it leaves from Ventura, which is closer to LA, but means a longer ride out to (hopefully) San Miguel.

All three TA boats (I think) have bow gates - a real plus in my book.

Do any of the boats have better photo facilities than others?
Better food?
Better galley chairs?
Better bunks for a single person?

Which one would you choose? I'm sure I'll try them all eventually, and they're all great, but help me choose this one.
Thanks!
Taxgeek

Everything being equal, I'd probably choose the Peace for a trip. I like the boat, it's a shorter drive from L.A., and it pumps nitrox.

On the other hand, some divers I know like the spaciousness of the Truth Aquatics boats and their bunk arrangement better.

Hot tub isn't a selling point for me. Considering its size, it's always been too crowded to crawl into.

Even though you ask us to assume destination is equal, this is probably one of the most important decision factors for me. The Truth boats do some trips that aren't available or seldom available on others (for example a one-day trip I took last spring to the Humble SM1 and Gosford wrecks).

Bottom line, try them all eventually!

i personally have only been on the truth, but i have nothing but GREAT things to say about the boat and definatly the crew, awsome trip, and i leave with them again on the 1st of feb for 5 days. photo boat:D

I've been on all the boats and like them all. Know the captain or second captain on two of them. I'd dive on which ever boat was going where I needed to go.

Taxgeek:
I'm so jealous Jim, I wish I could go on that!
AAWWAA, sorry to hear that you cant, i have to say i am very excited to go, went last oct 04 and had a $50 camera we were so thrilled with the pics we got, now ishie (friend) and i both have nice camera set ups and those pics are so like junk. lol then i count the days of three weeks latter till i leave for the phillipines!!! sorry to be off topic all

My version is nearly identical to drbill with only the following modification "on whichever boat was going WHEN I needed to go." The WHERE doesn't matter to me. These boats are all fantastic rides and good crews.

Well, here's my dilemna then, all you wishy-washy non-position taking people ;-) All four boats have three day trips going on the February long weekend to the "Outer Islands." What am I supposed to do, flip a coin???? LOL. Cmon, tell me who your favorite captain is, or SOMETHING. Of course with the caveat that we're not dissing the other boats - they're all their own little slice of heaven. But which heaven should I book on?

At the risk of complicating things, you might also consider which club or shop is chartering the trip, if any, and whether you think you'd be sympatico. Some shops run a lot of classes on trips which can constrain choice of dive sites (though this is more common on one-day trips). As for clubs, are they a party crowd? photogs? hunters? etc. In the case of the Presidents Day weekend, on those boats it looks like some out-of-town shops/clubs (can't say I know much about them) and an open boat.

Also -- do you have a nitrox card? That's be a vote for the Peace.

Are you bringing a buddy, or planning to work something out on the boat? That can either get into your buddy's tastes or loop back to the first question here (what's the crowd like?).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom