Strobe for Canon G11 with Canon WP-DC34 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supajaydub

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all,

I have question that I hope someone could answer. I've recently purchased a Canon G11 and a Canon WP-DC34 underwater housing, and I'm trying to choose a strobe for this camera and housing combo.

As I understand it would need to be a slave strobe because of the lack of TTL connection on the housing.

What are the strobes I should be looking at that would be suitable and compatible, but at the same time not ridiculously highly priced?

I understand that some of the replies will garner wonderfull suggestions like buy a new housing like an Ikelite or FIX etc. but this is not an option as I'm not prepared to fork out that kind of cash on a housing.

Appreciate your help.

(aspiring underwater photographer)

For the Canon housing, I would suggest one of the following strobes. All of which are extremely reliable in slave mode (when used with a Fiber Optic cable)

1. Sea and Sea YS-110a

2. Inon Z-240

3. New, compact Inon S-2000

What is your budget for a strobe? remember, you need the strobe, ball adapter, arm set and a fiber optic cable. The Inon S-2000 is the smallest and least expensive of the three, however it packs a lot of power and will suit most all of your diving needs (other than extreme wide angle)

Hope that helps, let me know if there are any other questions.

Thanks for the info Mike

What about the Sea&Sea YS-17?

I've also seen the Intova ISS 2000, would this also be a good option?

These both suit my budget a bit better.

Thanks

I've been using an Ikelite Substrobe D-51 with the EV Controller. Works well. I have a G7 with the Canon housing, so the physical setup would be the same.

Hi all,

I have question that I hope someone could answer. I've recently purchased a Canon G11 and a Canon WP-DC34 underwater housing, and I'm trying to choose a strobe for this camera and housing combo.

As I understand it would need to be a slave strobe because of the lack of TTL connection on the housing.

What are the strobes I should be looking at that would be suitable and compatible, but at the same time not ridiculously highly priced?

I understand that some of the replies will garner wonderfull suggestions like buy a new housing like an Ikelite or FIX etc. but this is not an option as I'm not prepared to fork out that kind of cash on a housing.

Appreciate your help.

(aspiring underwater photographer)

One thing to understand, when you look at photos in underwater magazines and the like and you think "I wish I could take photos like that" the photographer did not achieve the results you see by scrimping on the type of flash he used. The number one most important thing to remember is that there is no such thing as having too much light at you disposal.

If you buy your flash from an economy point of veiw you will take economy photos in general! Sure you will get the odd photo right but not as many as if you had more light and light control.

Look to see if you can find a decent second hand unit rather then getting a new low end flash!

Also it doesn't need to be a slave flash but it does need to be fibre optic compatible!

Peter

The S&S YS-17 has a GN of only 12 and is very underpowered for it's cost. Same with Ike AF-35.

Besides the YS-110a, I've been selling a lot of YS-27DX strobes for this camera. It's a good compromise of power, beam width and quality/value for this advanced camera.

I think that with the Ike Housing with hardwired sync, the DS-51 makes very good sense, but I've never liked the external EV controller, it's bulky and kind of "old school" relative to other strobes that just use a simple f/o connection.

I have lots of various lighting packages, really almost any of which can be used with this camera/housing.

Jack

The Ds-51 is a nice strobe, however the additional cost of the EV controller makes it nearly as much as a better strobe.

The G11 is a fantastic camera, and does both excellent Wide angle and macro. If you have any intention of getting an accessory wide angle lens for the camera in the future, then a 110a or one of the Inon strobes would be the way to go. The G11 is a camera you can definitely grow into...so I would not short yourself from the start with it.

The number one most important thing to remember is that there is no such thing as having too much light at you disposal.

I'm getting that tattooed!

Don't scrimp on your strobe. It's the lament I hear most from folks with underwater cameras. Your camera and housing is out of date six months after you buy it, but a good strobe will last you through generations of gear upgrades.

I bought a used Inon strobe on e-bay, and I can sell it today for the same (maybe a few bucks more) thing I paid for it two years ago.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom