Strobe for Canon G11 with Canon WP-DC34 housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm getting that tattooed!

Don't scrimp on your strobe. It's the lament I hear most from folks with underwater cameras. Your camera and housing is out of date six months after you buy it, but a good strobe will last you through generations of gear upgrades.

I bought a used Inon strobe on e-bay, and I can sell it today for the same (maybe a few bucks more) thing I paid for it two years ago.

I don't think that I want to know where that tat is going to be!! :>):D

Hello all, interesting thread you have going here... I've got a Canon G10 with the Canon housing, and everyone has recommended to me to look for the Sea & Sea YS-110a... but how does it connect to the housing? The housing has no port, no bulkhead of any kind... does Sea & Sea manufacture a "stick-on" fibre optic cable? Thanks in advance!

Hello all, interesting thread you have going here... I've got a Canon G10 with the Canon housing, and everyone has recommended to me to look for the Sea & Sea YS-110a... but how does it connect to the housing? The housing has no port, no bulkhead of any kind... does Sea & Sea manufacture a "stick-on" fibre optic cable? Thanks in advance!

Several options.

One is a glue-on velcro tab for attaching the fiber optic sensor near the camera's flash output (Inon, and 10-bar both make these). This is the cheapest set up.

ULCS makes mounts for wet lenses (not yet available for G10 or G11 :depressed: ) that allow you to also mount the fiber-optic cable near the flash.

If it was MY system, I would do the first while waiting on the second.

You may want to check with Reef Camera and H2O Photo Pros directly, and see what they can put together for you.

Several options.

One is a glue-on velcro tab for attaching the fiber optic sensor near the camera's flash output (Inon, and 10-bar both make these). This is the cheapest set up.

ULCS makes mounts for wet lenses (not yet available for G10 or G11 :depressed: ) that allow you to also mount the fiber-optic cable near the flash.

If it was MY system, I would do the first while waiting on the second.

You may want to check with Reef Camera and H2O Photo Pros directly, and see what they can put together for you.

Thanks very much!!

I am looking at the Canon G11 with the Canon WP-DC34 underwater housing also. I was looking at the Sea & Sea YS-110a or maybe even the Sea & Sea YS-250 Pro. What other strobe(s) would compare to these two units that I could look at, other then the Inon Z-240 ??

Is the 250 Pro worth the extra and why ?? Is it too much for a G11 setup ?? I would like to hear from people who have used both...

I have a Canon 30d, but I am looking for something a little more cost effective and compact for underwater use. That is why I am looking at the G11 setup...

Inon D-2000 is about $130 cheaper than the Z-240. It's virtually the same as the strobe I use (D-2000w) and I never feel let down by the strobe (although a second strobe would be welcome).

Inon S-2000 runs about $470. I've never used one, but it would be my first choice were I not in love with the "Auto" function of the D-2000/Z-240. It's very powerful for it's size, and you can fiber-optic it for S-TTL. Downside is no internal focus lamp (which could be an upside if you shoot a bunch at night and want a separate focus lamp that uses a different set of batteries), no auto.

A buddy just picked up an Intova strobe, and upon first impressions, I'd say they are worth a second look.

The Fantasea NanoFlash is a very small "flash in a box" strobe. Although small, I've seen some nice shots taken with it; mostly close in and macro, but for what it is and what it costs it can work surprisingly well; especially in clear water with small P&S cameras. Not very adjustable, it has 3 steps of power and some diffusers. Uses 2x AAA batteries.

BUT, it's not suitable for the G10/11 as it doesn't have anywhere near enough power or coverage.

Their Remora strobe is a big step up in power and adjustability; but a 60 deg. beam angle - even with a pretty nice lens and diffuser, leaves it short. I also noticed that there is quite a bit of vertical fall off with it on wider angles. But if you're more interested in macro and on a budget - it's not at all bad.

With strobes you pretty much get what you pay for and uw - it's all about light.

Again, I like the Sea & Sea YS-27DX or YS-110a strobes. Wide beam angle, adjustable, awesome build quality, powerful.

Jack

The Fantasea NanoFlash is a very small "flash in a box" strobe. Although small, I've seen some nice shots taken with it; mostly close in and macro, but for what it is and what it costs it can work surprisingly well; especially in clear water with small P&S cameras. Not very adjustable, it has 3 steps of power and some diffusers. Uses 2x AAA batteries.

BUT, it's not suitable for the G10/11 as it doesn't have anywhere near enough power or coverage.

Their Remora strobe is a big step up in power and adjustability; but a 60 deg. beam angle - even with a pretty nice lens and diffuser, leaves it short. I also noticed that there is quite a bit of vertical fall off with it on wider angles. But if you're more interested in macro and on a budget - it's not at all bad.

With strobes you pretty much get what you pay for and uw - it's all about light.

Again, I like the Sea & Sea YS-27DX or YS-110a strobes. Wide beam angle, adjustable, awesome build quality, powerful.

Jack

Question sir, Im also about to set up a G11. Is the "ES150 Epoque" strobe good?

Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network

This is a great link that let's you compare strobe to strobe. I found it extremely handy when I was shopping for my strobe. I ultimately went with the Inon S-2000. For me I found it to be just what I wanted. Good power, small, and reasonably priced. Compared to the S&S 27DX I liked the smaller size. Compared to the S&S YS-110a I liked the smaller price. If I was thinking of upgrading to a DSLR setup I would have gone for the YS-110a, so that I would never have strobe envy. But check out the above link a decide for yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom