Reclaiming Aloha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Baracuda Smile

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just returned from getting my ship wreck diving certification on Maui. Thank you Gabe Scotti and Kaimana Divers About Us :: Kaimana Divers: SCUBA Diving in Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii Gabe was fantastic meeting all of my diving needs.

I had limited time in Honolulu and I wanted to complete my ship wreck penetrations. I surveyed 8 different dive shops on Maui and I had ranges from nearly $300 for two dives to $100 plus lots of extra hidden expenses.

First I was shocked by the big range.

Secondly I was amazed that all dive shops had the same agenda. -- A early morning wreck dive then a shallow water reef dive. So no special service were offered for the dive agenda. The wreck dive was pretty neet, I need to work on my reel work some more. Although I saw some fish that I had not seen before the coral was pretty non exisistant. When I saw on google earth that the south coast of Maui was a dead zone, it explained a lot.

I am extremely disappointed in Hawaii.

1st the Airport is old and it is extremely difficult getting through security. I am in the military so I want our country to be safe as any one, but the security is inefficient and duplicitous. Build smoking rooms at the airport for the Japanese tourist. Smoking rooms are common through out Japan and have big scrubber fans that clean the air.

2nd Maui is run down and the infrastructure is failing. Streets are ill repair, and roads lead to no where and traffic is horrible especially for the tourist. Drivers are rude, and often instead of showing the tourist the Aloha spirit they flip them the bird.

3rd There is no parking and the parking that exist is metered and heavily fined, which is not conducive for attracting tourist.

4th There are many homeless people living right on Waikiki, again a sight that the tourist do not want to see. Does Hawaii have shelters like any other US city have? Can you have at least the homeless move during the day? Offer them some meals from all the food that the hotels through away.

I don't want to be all negative. So I will offer some solutions. Create ten fold more parking by making parking lots out out some of the parks. Decrease the amount of metered parking. Build city parking garages that are convenient and metered for over flow.

Fix infrastructure to include road networks. Build mass transit systems (trams subways) to move people. Guam has a free tourist trolley that services all the hotels and beaches. The hotels pay a small fee for this service. Pave and fix roads in the middle of the night to avoid impact to the city.

Fix the airport. The airport is not only the gate way to Hawaii but for Asian tourist coming to America. Federal funds may be in order since Obama used to go to school in Hawaii. Combine security together e.g. customs, agriculture, immigrations, and booking so passengers don't have to keep pulling out their documents at each point. Build the airport with the Aloha spirit welcoming tourist to Hawaii. Make the airport efficient currently it is difficult to get around and passengers tend to walk long distances to get to there gates. Look to Asia especially Japan for efficient airports.

Fix the H1. For Locals develop certain lanes that if they have a pass they are allowed into those lanes exclusively. Build toll roads to pay for road construction. Look to how Germany monitors the Automon via video for accidents and slow downs.

Build a solid EMS, Police and Fire response system Roads and services are products of you tax dollars hard at work.

Build ports and harbors, protect the reef and the beaches this is why tourist come to Hawaii. A good example of this is Okinawa, Japan where they have converted mud flats into artificial beaches that now attract thousands of main Japanese. Have the Coast Guard check boats to make sure they are not emitting oil and fuel into the ocean.

I am an American I have lived in Japan since 1997. Currently I would not even take a free trip back to Maui or Honolulu.

Good Luck

I feel your pain bro.
I love Hawaii though. I especially love Kauai. I just got back from a 10 day stay at the Kauai Hilton.Very nice.
But the diving sucks big time.
Save your dive-dollars for other locations.
Hawaii is a great place for a vacation. I go at least once a year, but from now on I'll leave my gear at home.

Ouch! A scathing report...... but one I agree on in a few areas.

1) Diving wise, it is what it is. That's why we went to the wreck that day to make sure you completed your course. We had been having some South Swell which tends to chase away most of the critters. Give it another shot and I'm sure I could find you some amazing critters (found a DRAGON MORAY just yesterday)!

2) The homeless is a big issue. I read somewhere last year that we need a few hundred to 1000 more beds. Sad that we can't fix the issue, but if you think it's bad in Waikiki take a drive out to Waianae!

3) Thanks for the kind review! It was great meeting you and hopefully we can meet up again..... maybe in Big Sky country this time....

G

Ouch! A scathing report...... but one I agree on in a few areas.

1) Diving wise, it is what it is. That's why we went to the wreck that day to make sure you completed your course. We had been having some South Swell which tends to chase away most of the critters. Give it another shot and I'm sure I could find you some amazing critters (found a DRAGON MORAY just yesterday)!

2) The homeless is a big issue. I read somewhere last year that we need a few hundred to 1000 more beds. Sad that we can't fix the issue, but if you think it's bad in Waikiki take a drive out to Waianae!

3) Thanks for the kind review! It was great meeting you and hopefully we can meet up again..... maybe in Big Sky country this time....

G

G,

Katamuki and I were diving the other day and talking about how great a diver you were. Like I stated previously you were outstanding in being flexible in finishing up my classes. Like I previously stated, I had surveyed numerous dive shops and I got huge range in price and none were flexible in working with my schedule or my wanting to dive Nitrox. This is the reason I chose your shop. G I applaud you for your up beat spirit and laid back easy going style. I think you have the aloha spirit, please spread it on, as in the islands we like to live life by the changing tides.

G You are cordially invited to come to Okinawa, Japan to come diving with Katamuki and I. I just found out that I will be here for one more year. I will let you and your wife crash on our couches, actually we have a spare room with bed. We will take you to dive with the whale sharks.

Dude, get your islands straight before you start bashing people!

Wikki is on Oahu, not Maui. Do you even know where you went?!

I've been to Maui a number of time and I have never encountered any of the problems you just listed. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror and see if you were part of the problem as well. I look like the total Haole tourist and I never have anyone flip me the bird when I am driving over there. Probably because I am use to REALLY bad city traffic and I am always lookout so as not to be in the way or cutting anyone off. Asin driver are the worst, and yes, I just lumped you in that catagory.

Dude, get your islands straight before you start bashing people!

Wikki is on Oahu, not Maui. Do you even know where you went?!

I've been to Maui a number of time and I have never encountered any of the problems you just listed. Maybe you should take a look in the mirror and see if you were part of the problem as well. I look like the total Haole tourist and I never have anyone flip me the bird when I am driving over there. Probably because I am use to REALLY bad city traffic and I am always lookout so as not to be in the way or cutting anyone off. Asin driver are the worst, and yes, I just lumped you in that catagory.

GUILTY as charged. However, being an American and having been to Hawaii before in 1998. I would consider myself smarter than the typical Asian tourist, therefore if I experienced in the aforementioned post, then the typical Asian tourist must have a pretty bad time in Hawaii with a language barrier to overcome. Yet we wonder why our business are doing so poorly in Hawaii? I don't want to be negative. The topic of this thread was to reclaim the Aloha spirit that has been part of Hawaiian island's culture for hundreds of years. This is why I made several recommendations to improve the tourist industry in Hawaii. Sometimes it takes an outsiders eye to make hard assessments. Sometimes these hard assessments are not flattering. I have known many people that have been to the big island and Maui that have had positive experiences, so I agree with you that positive experiences are still available, yet if my experience is at all typical of the Haole experience then maybe change is in order. Of course things may continue along there same course, and they probably will and business will fail and only after it is catastrophic will people reassess and make change. However, those that look internally at what I have written in my first post and see some of the truth and make changes may survive this economic crises. I did drop over $6000 in my week in Hawaii, that in future I will spend elsewhere. Thank you for confirming once again my preconceived notions.

Good Luck my Friend,

Aloha

Baracuda Smile:
1st the Airport is old and it is extremely difficult getting through security. I am in the military so I want our country to be safe as any one, but the security is inefficient and duplicitous. Build smoking rooms at the airport for the Japanese tourist. Smoking rooms are common through out Japan and have big scrubber fans that clean the air.
I doubt smoking rooms are legal as smoking is prohibited by state law in any public place now. Last I heard Hawaii had the lowest smoking rate in the US of only 12% So this is one law that was quite popular.

Baracuda Smile:
...2nd Maui is run down and the infrastructure is failing. Streets are ill repair, and roads lead to no where and traffic is horrible especially for the tourist. Drivers are rude, and often instead of showing the tourist the Aloha spirit they flip them the bird.
At the moment there is not going to be much done in the way of infrastructure improvements as the State is cutting their budget by over 20% due to the economy ... and yes, the traffic is really bad over here, but rude behavior is totally uncalled for.

Baracuda Smile:
...3rd There is no parking and the parking that exist is metered and heavily fined, which is not conducive for attracting tourist.
Try finding parking for work downtown every day - lol ... it is possible to find free parking, but you have to really look for it.

Baracuda Smile:
...4th There are many homeless people living right on Waikiki, again a sight that the tourist do not want to see. Does Hawaii have shelters like any other US city have? Can you have at least the homeless move during the day? Offer them some meals from all the food that the hotels through away.

They have been building shelters, however some actually prefer living on the beach ... many of the families who are homeless have full time jobs, but are simply unable to afford housing due to the cost of rent - if it's a choice of food or roof, and you live in a place like Hawaii ... well food wins.

Baracuda Smile:
...I don't want to be all negative. So I will offer some solutions. Create ten fold more parking by making parking lots out out some of the parks. Decrease the amount of metered parking. Build city parking garages that are convenient and metered for over flow.
'aint gonna happen ... and if they replaced parks with parking lots who would want to come here any longer? Parking garages are a possibility if a private company can find a way to make a profit off of them, AND the county allows it - but this state is not real fond of people trying to do anything new ... or old for that matter.

Baracuda Smile:
...Fix infrastructure to include road networks. Build mass transit systems (trams subways) to move people. Guam has a free tourist trolley that services all the hotels and beaches. The hotels pay a small fee for this service. Pave and fix roads in the middle of the night to avoid impact to the city.
Not sure if you noticed, but Hawaii has a VERY extensive bus system - go anywhere on the island for $2 - very reasonable and one of the best bus systems in the country. There is a movement to build a fixed rail system ... and another to stop it - mass transit has been battled over for decades.

Baracuda Smile:
...Fix the airport. The airport is not only the gate way to Hawaii but for Asian tourist coming to America. Federal funds may be in order since Obama used to go to school in Hawaii. Combine security together e.g. customs, agriculture, immigrations, and booking so passengers don't have to keep pulling out their documents at each point. Build the airport with the Aloha spirit welcoming tourist to Hawaii. Make the airport efficient currently it is difficult to get around and passengers tend to walk long distances to get to there gates. Look to Asia especially Japan for efficient airports.
Honestly I can only remember 2x in the past 32 years where there has not been major construction going on to improve the airport ... unfortunately it takes 10-15 years for any construction project over here to finish once it has begun (and beginning can take 30 years ... H3 for example)

Baracuda Smile:
...Fix the H1. For Locals develop certain lanes that if they have a pass they are allowed into those lanes exclusively. Build toll roads to pay for road construction. Look to how Germany monitors the Automon via video for accidents and slow downs.
They did add the "zipper" lane but took out 2 lanes in the process ... lol

Baracuda Smile:
...Build a solid EMS, Police and Fire response system Roads and services are products of you tax dollars hard at work.
actually tax dollars at work here mean administrative jobs and pay raises ... the remaining 20% goes for those things you mentioned ... at least till they recently cut the budget by 20%

Baracuda Smile:
...Build ports and harbors, protect the reef and the beaches this is why tourist come to Hawaii. A good example of this is Okinawa, Japan where they have converted mud flats into artificial beaches that now attract thousands of main Japanese.
we have ... it's called Waikiki... all converted swamp land.

Baracuda Smile:
Have the Coast Guard check boats to make sure they are not emitting oil and fuel into the ocean.

They do ... but the Coast Guard is Federal, not a state "agency"

I do understand and share your frustration. While I do not share your view of corrective measures I do agree that changes need to happen ... but that is not going to happen until some MAJOR changes take place in this state that are the result of too many things to go into here ...

Tim ... being quite negative ...

Bashing Hawai'i by using Honolulu as your example for the entire state simply isn't fair.

We spend two or three weeks in Hawai'i every year (mostly on the big island) and I plan to retire there.

Yes, there are problems... but with all due respect I lived on Okinawa and there are problems there as well (although I would LOVE to dive Oki... I was a kid when I was there). There are problems in Tokyo, Yokohama, Naha and Kyoto as well... but each also has its charms.

The State government of Hawai'i has got to be one if not the most corrupt governments in the country. It HAS to be, with all the money they take in off of tourists, and with how little they actually spend on roads, bridges, medical facility and schools. I actually have no idea WHAT they spend their money on, and I have been trying to find out.

My suggestion is the next time you want to see Hawai'i, go to the big island and get away from Kona or Hilo and out into the country...

As far as the Aloha spirit goes, I honestly don't blame the locals (especially those of native Hawai'an ancestry) for being sick and tired of the tourists... frankly, they have "been there, done that"... and they often get treated like they are "on exhibit" instead of the good, everyday folks that they are just trying to go on about their business of the day.

Baracuda Smile,

I am really sorry you feel so strongly about Hawaii. Personally, I love hawaii and the people in Hawaii. However, what one must realize is that Hawaii is not just a tourist destination, but a home for many people not related to the tourist industry. As more and more mainlanders have moved to Hawaii, it has changed Hawaii a lot. It is not the same as when I was a child. Nothing is!!:) There are still places you can go where you can get the feeling of old Hawaii, but if you are from the mainland most people look at you funny (they can tell).

I always recommend that people visit some of the local places, such as the Rainbow Drive-Inn in Honolulu. Also some of the Okazuyas around. Do not expect the locals to come an hug you and smile at you just because you are a tourist. For me it just feels more real than doing what tourist normally do. Even though I am Asian, all of the locals know that I am a mainlander. If you approach people with an open mind and treat them as people without judging them based on a television stereotype, you might get to see the real people of Hawaii (and the Locals are extremely friendly and warm given the right attitude).

I agree the bus system in honolulu, is great. When I was in high school, we used to take the bus all over the island. You did not need a car, because you could get anywhere on the bus! Back then for students it was only $0.25 and that has not change much.

By the way, the homeless have always been in Hawaii and, for me, are part of the color of Hawaii and should not be hidden away to make the tourist more comfortable. It would be like being in Japan with out the obnoxious drunk business man (it might be different in Okinawa, I have not been there). Or even the homeless in the parks.

Please do not take any offense to what I am saying. I just believe that, if you want to really experience Hawaii, you need to get out of the tourist traps and see the real Hawaii. Next time you to take is slow and relax!!! Remember it is Hawaii and life is a little slower than the mainland and Japan!!:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom