Pony/Redundant Set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CavemanScuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking for opinions and pictures of redundant tanks. I am looking at setting up a 19 cu ft tank. My main questions are how to mount? What gauge? What length hose? I dive a Zeagle ranger so I am thinking about the zeagle straps and mounting the tank upside down next to my main tank. What SPG and for what reasons? What length hose for the second stage?

Pictures would be awesome as I am sure any information will just raise more questions.

I use a pair of XS Scuba straps and strap the tank upside down to the right of my main tank, flush against my wing. You may need heftier hardware for a 19, not sure. My second stage and hose (from a standard reg set) is bungied against the side of the pony tank (rigged sort of like this stage bottle here) and deploys very easily if I reach back and yank on it.

For a 19, just picture This guy's setup inverted.

My setup uses a Zeagle Envoy Razor first stage instead of a traditional valve, so the rig is compact and disassembly/reassembly is relatively simple. Additionally, I have a yoke transfiller that lets me fill the pony myself from a larger tank. Both bottles equalize around 2700-2900 depending on the actual psi of the source tank when I do the fill.

For a second stage, the Mares MV octo, aka Dacor Viper, works equally well whether "right side up" or "upside down." Quotes intended, as there is no such thing as up or down with this particular 2nd stage.

DiveGearExpress and DiveRightInScuba both carry small SPGs that screw right onto the Zeagle Envoy Razor.

Have fun building your pony rig!

What do you guys use to "bungie" the 2nd stage hose?

What do you guys use to "bungie" the 2nd stage hose?

Two good thick pieces of bungee cord (I think mine is 1/4") tied off in a loop should do it. Some folks use a cross section of motorcycle inner tube.

I am looking for opinions and pictures of redundant tanks. I am looking at setting up a 19 cu ft tank. My main questions are how to mount? What gauge? What length hose? I dive a Zeagle ranger so I am thinking about the zeagle straps and mounting the tank upside down next to my main tank. What SPG and for what reasons? What length hose for the second stage?

Pictures would be awesome as I am sure any information will just raise more questions.

Why are you so interested in a piece of gear you don't seem to understand very well?

Why are you so interested in a piece of gear you don't seem to understand very well?

Thank you for your helpful post. I don't know how I would have been able to gain the knowledge I seek without your help. Please keep spreading your wealth of knowledge so others may benefit as well.

Thank you for your helpful post. I don't know how I would have been able to gain the knowledge I seek without your help. .

I find your response curious.

You ask for an opinion on a piece of gear and provide a laundy list of questions. These questions indicate a fair degree of ignorance concerning that piece of gear.

So, my opinion was to ask why you feel you require an item that you don't seem to understand very well.

Please keep spreading your wealth of knowledge so others may benefit as well.

It's my pleasure.

Once again Wu, your response only furthers my knowledge of this subject which was the reason for my inquiry in the first place. For had I not been blessed with the answers you so eloquently have bestowed upon me, I would continue to wonder if I truly did need such a piece of equipment that I don't understand. But now that you have spelled it all out for me in such a clear and concise manner, I need not ask anymore.

You are truly an asset to this board and I can't understand why this forum gets such a bad reputation. When there are members such as yourself that are here only to help out and to help others understand the sport of scuba diving in a welcoming and accepting manner.

This is a re-post from http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5758908-post7.html :

[Wu] Do you ever offer anything of value to a discussion? Do you ever help out a new diver in a nurturing, non-condescending fashion? Do you ever offer up the same response that you have given one hundred times before to yet another newb wanting to buy their first reg, knowing that you were once in their place and that you appreciated the advice that you were given on ScubaBoard? Why are you on ScubaBoard, Wu? What part of the experience makes you feel good about yourself as a human being?

I assume it's because he wants to actually learn something about it, make as few mistakes as possible setting it up and so on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom