300 Foot Dive-How Expensive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ianr33

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Another thread got me thinking about this. What would be the total cost to go from being a recreational diver to being able to do a 300 foot dive in relative safety?

My off the top of my head guess is around $20,000 ????

The technical training. (Advanced Nitrox/Deco. Normoxic Trimix. Hypoxic Trimix) would be around $2500 +gasses,travel etc etc.

Big Doubles,3 stages,5 regulators maybe $3000. Dysuit $1000.

The major expense would presumably be gaining experience.Nobody in their right mind does 300 feet without working up to it .

Anybody got any more informed numbers?

(Bouncing to 300 feet on an 80 does not count !! )

I suspect its something most guys don't want to add up. Many of my acquaintances, for example, have spent in excess of $1000 per month or more strictly on diving and dive ancillary expenses (boat fees, hotels, T bottles of helium, etc.) for the last three or four years running. This averages into standard seasonal diving costs those one-time purchases like $3500 for a scooter, or $2500 for a trip to Florida for a week of cave training. Some of my acquantances have rebreathers that themselves cost between $12-$15K. Given that it would take a minimum of three or four years to gain the experience, do the dives, and work up skills, abilities, etc. to be able to safely perform at that level, at between $12-$14K per year times 3-4 years and using the larger values in those ranges I'd come up with an estimate more in the $56K range. I think you're right - the equipment costs themselves, while not inconsequential, are significantly less than the cost of actually diving frequently enough and with sufficient intensity that after three or four years you've put a team together capable of safely executing a 300' dive. (Most of my acquaintances are not there yet and I'm not either...., of course, most of us don't have lives, either! This is about all we do...)

FWIW.

YMMV.

Oh, man... I need to delete this thread before my wife get's a look at it. :D

Well, in the last 3 years or so I spend between $12k-$15K on gear,courses and gas.
I have done some dives deeper than 200ft but nothing close to 300ft. I need to do between 10 or 20 dives in the 240-260ft range before moving to deeper dives. I also have to spend more money on gear and gas to get there, your guess of $20,000 is pretty close to what it take (money wise anyway) to safety get to 300ft. I know of some divers that can't wait to get deeper and will be doing 300ft dives in less than 6 months after doing the deco procedures course. Now that not for me, I prefer taking my time and doing it,whenever I'm ready, if it take another 2 years and $5k more so be it.

Man, this is inspirational stuff we are talking here! Diving wrecks kind of puts the tech bug in you, but with this talk, I'll be sticking with the shallow stuff for awhile!

Something I did once after I started working part time at my LDS was pull a report on myself. I was going through divemaster at the time. I am an instructor now and WILL NOT be pulling that report ever again! I am currently taking tec deep and am fully kitted for the course. If I start doing serious tech trips, I will need at least another set of doubles and a couple more stages.

The best part is when I mentioned to my wife that I am working the season opening sale this weekend, she said to pick something out for my birthday! God, I love her!

The last 2 years I´ve spent a months worth of diving/training in florida on 3 separate trips...thats just my trips to florida...I have made a 270ft dive though...

There is absolutely no way I want to add up what it took me to get there. Along the way I've bought and sold a dive shop and bought and sold a few boats. I still own one. I also own about 40 tanks, including 10 sets of doubles and a complete gas mixing operation in my garage.

I just want to know where to get the $1000 dry suit. I just ordered my CLX450 Signature and wasn't anywhere near that. But, that begs the discussion of knowing what kind of diving you intend to do and equipping yourself appropriately. i.e. much different equip needs and considerations if your going to the Doria as opposed to going down the Blue Hole.

As with most of the others, I never want to add it up...............

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom