Diving Pattaya

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone

So I've decided to go on a diving trip to Pattaya as a few of my mates (non divers) are planning a holiday there and I hear there are some amazing wreck dives and whale shark sightings near Koh Larn. I've done a fair bit of research but there's still a few questions I'd like some clarification on:
1. Bring my own gear/some of it (regs, computer, bcd) or is it worth renting gear? I plan on going for 2 weeks and yes I know its always more comfortable in your own gear. Is it worth the hassle of transporting it vs the reliability of rental dive gear?
2. Liveboard diving in Pattaya or is most liveaboard diving off the west coast/Similan islands?
3. Diving weather in July near Pattaya?
4. Recommended dive companies to gain my wreck diving specialty??
5. Whale sharks??????????????????

I don't have any set dates for my trip and I'm very flexible as to where i dive in thailand but as my mates will be partying in Pattaya I'd be nice to be able to dive during the day and spend the evenings with them getting on it. Anyone have any positive/negative experiences from diving in Pattaya?
Recommendations??

Cheers

Mike

Unfortunately There are no 'amazing dives' in Pattaya, it is without doubt by far the worst diving in Thailand, yes there are some wreck dives, two small wrecks in Pattaya both of which were artificially sunk for the purpose of diving, in my mind the best is the khram, the Kood has been in the water less time and is located in a place that catches the current on a silty bottom so viz is quite often poor, 5m or much less, yes at times you can be lucky and have significantly more. Both wrecks are around 30m to seabed 20-25m on the decks.
In around 15 years of visiting / living in the Pattaya area I have only heard of one confirmed Whale shark sighting which was reported on this forum recently. Having done many dives in the area have never been fortunate enough to spot one myself. Most of the reef dives are 5-10m deep, at the Pattaya 'near islands' coral is badly damaged due to tourist activity, jet ski's and speedboats abound, viz usually poor. At the Pattaya 'far islands' things are a little better, but still nothing special.
The best diving in the area is at Samae San, around 30 minute drive away, most Pattaya shops do trips there. There is an actual shipwreck there, 'the Hard deep'. If you can get a shop that will plan diving around a very small window of slack water the dive can be OK, most shops do not and the extreme currents that are often experienced can make the dive most difficult and at times virtually impossible to enjoy. In the Samae San area the best dive is Shark Fin Rock, reef dive going down to around 26m, but again this needs to be dived at the right time of the tides, as only one side of the rock is worth diving. Again you will be lucky to find a shop that plan anything further than leaving at a specific time in the morning and you rely on pot luck with the conditions.
In answer to your questions
1. Always worth bringing some kit. I would always take my own reg's, BCD, mask and computer. I have at times experienced some shoddy equipment.
2. No liveaboards at all in the area. Nobody comes to Pattaya specifically to dive, its just something to do when there for other reasons. Shops run day trips generally leaving around 9am returning mid afternoon.
3. Pattaya has year round diving and is not affected too much by seasons. July is low season and you can expect some rain. most dive boats will not be busy at this time of year.
4. Real divers or Adventure divers are by far the best operators in the area. Both have websites with good info. other shops it's just pot luck with the 'professional' you are assigned, I have experienced the full variety from good to incompetent, many shops have a frequent turnover of staff and also use interns whilst under IDC training to take care of day customers so its just pot luck how things pan out.
5. Virtually no chance of sighting whale sharks, even in the one in a million chance there is one in the area, viz is usually so poor if it were more than a few metres away you wouldn't see it.

Regardless of the diving I am sure your group will have a great time in Pattaya, it really has a lot to offer. If you don't pin too many expectations on the diving, you will not be disappointed, just view it as a day out, you can book day by day and do not need to plan or book anything in advance. Try a day and see what the conditions are like, you may be lucky.

Hope you enjoy your holiday and let us know how you get on.

Lord Khram,

Thanks for all the info you've really helped clear things up. I still plan on going to Pattaya for a week and hopefully slip in some nice dives however i am planning to dedicate my second week in Thailand specifically for diving, even if it means i will have to leave my mates behind and catch a bus/train/plane or even donkey.

In your personal experience, where would be a good/great/amazing diving spots in thailand be around July?? And what would the best way to travel there from Pattaya? What would you recommend? I am not looking specifically for any type of diving however I would like to take advantage of my time in Thailand and perhaps get my wreck specialty, maybe even nitrox??

Cheers

Mike

Mike the easiest thing for you to do would be to go to Koh Tao. It will be in high season in July, and you can get your wreck spec there. I wouldn't call Koh Tao diving "amazing" though there are a couple of good dive sites (Chumphon Pinnacle and Sail Rock are my favorites), but you don't have to fly (or ride a donkey) to get there. You can just take a bus to Chumphon (via Bangkok) and then a ferry to Tao. You can also take a bus to Bangkok, a sleeper train to Chomphon and then the ferry. Contact the people at Master Divers for information about your training options.

Last edited:
Thanks Quero.

How would Similan Islands compare to diving at Koh Tao that time of the year? (July). I'm not to worries about the price of diving at either locations though i have heard that similan islands are quite expensive and that not many dive companies at Similan islands run cert courses??

Mike

Mike, the Similan Islands National Park is closed to visitors from May 1 through Oct 31. However, there is good reef diving in the southern Andaman in summer out of Phuket and in the vicinity of Koh Lanta (I prefer it to the Gulf overall), but if you are looking for a wreck spec while you're at your dive destination, you'd be better off in the Gulf, thus my advice to go to Koh Tao.

I would personally go to the Andaman sea around Phuket / Koh Lanta, whilst it is not the best time of year for diving in this area it will still generally be far better than any diving in the Gulf of Thailand. Koh Tao diving can be OK and is indeed generally much better than Pattaya, but personally my experiences there have been of overcrowded boats and crowded mediocre divesites, not really my favourite place. Koh chang is worth consideration and easily reached from Pattaya, but unfortunately not in July, if you are ever in Thailand between September and May, it's worth a look.

Also I wouldn't pin too much on doing a wreck speciality, most PADI speciality courses in my mind are of little benefit to divers, they are simply money spinners for the PADI organisation and it's 'hangers on'.
I see you have not done too many dives (your profile says 25-49). Just get some time in the water and enjoy it, your diving will benefit much more at your experience level by simply spending time in the water rather than collecting a load of cert' cards.

Just a few more questions I've thought of! (All in regards to diving in Koh Lanta vs Koh Tao

1. Social aspects of staying on Koh Lanta/Koh Tao itslef? (I'll be there by myself) Diving is what I'll be there for however if the weather isn't too good I'd still like other alternative activities other then getting on the turps (staying in pattaya will have got that out of my system)

2. Liveaboards vs Phuket vs Koh Lanta vs Koh Tao(where should i stay!) Money isnt too much of an issue however it's always nice to have more to spend on expensive dive gear and other holidays!

3. Accommodation recommendations? Looking for something where I can be social and meet people while I'm not diving so I don't end up being a hermit.

4. Booking in advance or book as I go? Alot of accommodation reviews of people who have booked in advance don't look so good. Any truth to this??

5. Is Koh Lanta/Koh Tao the primary dive spot or will companies take me around the other islands as well?

Sorry if it seems Ive asked the same questions everyone else has asked. Can't seem to find much info on diving during July and solo.

Cheers guys

Mike

Back
Top Bottom