Beer and Liveabaords

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buadhai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
I recently went on my first "Thai" liveaboard, by which I mean a boat marketed almost exclusively to Thais. I was surprised when the van transporting us to the boat stopped at 7Eleven and everyone got out and started stocking up on beer, Scotch and other beverages and snacks. We asked one of our fellow divers if there wouldn't be beer for sale on the boat. He said that no there wouldn't be and if we wanted to drink, better buy here. So I did.

Later, on the boat, we asked a few other Thai divers and learned that most Thai liveaboards do not sell beer and other beverages. If you want, you bring.

This seemed odd to me because it seems as if the operators are missing a rather large profit potential. Clearly, the Thais want to drink; why pass up the opportunity to sell to them? (In fact, on this boat everything was free: sodas, fruit juices, snacks, espresso, etc.)

Of course, for the divers this is fine. Why pay 70 or 80 baht for a small can of Chang that you can buy at a minimart for 35 baht or less?

Anyone know why the Thai boats don't sell beer and other beverages on board?

Of course, for the divers this is fine. Why pay 70 or 80 baht for a small can of Chang that you can buy at a minimart for 35 baht or less?

Anyone know why the Thai boats don't sell beer and other beverages on board?
I think you answered your own question =)

Maybe local habit? I know here in the area, so this side of Thailand, also the Thai boats sell beers.

Interesting. The two boats about which we specifically inquired (ScubaNet and Tapana) are repositioning to the Andaman next month. Neither will be selling alcohol.

I see this changing very quickly.

First of all I don't think the 'Thai only' market is big enough here. Quite a few Thai owned boats have tried this, but nearly all of them are now also trying to get western or other Asian customers. Secondly with the habit here in the area, daytrips and liveaboards alike, being 'sure you can buy a beer from us after diving', I think they'll change this soon and make some money on their drinks.

I think they don't want the responsability of an incident happening due to a customer drunk because of the beer sold on board.

If it happens, it will be responsability of the customer, as he bought the beer by himself.

BTW, in the red sea beer is only allowed after the night dive. If you drink during the day, you are not allowed to dive.

cheers

Personally it seems to be a wise policy to me. I think briefer's post above makes sense.

I see this changing very quickly.

First of all I don't think the 'Thai only' market is big enough here. Quite a few Thai owned boats have tried this, but nearly all of them are now also trying to get western or other Asian customers. Secondly with the habit here in the area, daytrips and liveaboards alike, being 'sure you can buy a beer from us after diving', I think they'll change this soon and make some money on their drinks.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out. This last trip was to Losin. In all my previous trips to Losin I've only seen another boat there once. This time there were four. All Thai. All full.

I don't think the "no beer" policy is designed to limit drinking. After all, they stopped at 7Eleven on the way to the boat for the express purpose of purchasing beer and other alcohol. Huge quantities were purchased and consumed.

They did follow the general rule of "once you drink you're done diving for the day".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom