Athena or Olympus port?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkingsanc

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I want to use my 50mm F2 for my PT-E05 housing to U/W photography.
But I have a question, should I get an Athena or Olympus port is better?

thank you~

I am using the Athena port - it is threaded so that you can use external diopters like the Inon 165. Inon also make a similar port.

It also lets you get a little closer for greater magnification. It's a very nice port.

OPF-TMP50-PTE.JPG

Athena Tele Macro Port 50/Gear Set

Jack

They have their own matching extension port and manual focus gear - product name TC14 tele extension sets -product number EP/FG50-TC14-PTE

image0054.jpg

image0045.jpg

They also sell the parts in a package I believe.

Jack

I also have the Athena port and like it very much. I have an wet lens that I use with it, the added threads on the end give it more flexibility than the Olympus port. I think its a bit more compact as well. Good to see Jack carrying these now.

Brian

Atnena extension is very expensive. Which is the best choice?

Best Regards,
Frankie Leung
(Hong Kong)

Last edited:
Personally, I'd probably use the standard Athena macro port and add a 2x 67mm Olympus wet diopter. That will give you the greatest flexibility, albeit a bit less image quality.

It really depends on what you want to do.

Jack

I use the Athena ports for the 50 and 35 mm macros. These ports will work with the Olympus extension ring but I like the Athena ring better because it has a non slip surface. If you have the Olympus extension port, non skid tape can be added to the ring for a better grip. If you stack two it can be used with the X2 tele converter. You may also want to look at the less expensive Inon port for the 50 macro. It can be used and purchased with or without the magnetic focus gear and ring. I have also used this port, it has the 67 mm thread for the wet diopters or a ring flash. The magnetic focus is not as easy to fine tune but works well enough for most applications.

INON?OLYMPUS E-SYSTEM [TOP]

Phil Rudin

Phil Rudin Bio

Back
Top Bottom