Switching from sea & sea 1G to Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaskip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using a Sea & Sea 1G for the past 100 plus dives. Some photos are excellent but some lack focus and crispness if that makes sense. I attribute this to the point and shoot. I am intrigued by the size of the Olympus. I can afford less than $2500. What would you suggest and do you think I would really notice the difference?
Thank you for your help. scubaskip

Both are excellent cameras but you will exhaust your budget sooner rather than later. Along with the camera body and kit lenses, you will need a housing and lens ports for each lens. You will probably want to add a lens or two to your mix.

While these are great cameras, they perform better with a strobe (or two). Strobes are expensive and you will need various arms, sync cords, adapters, etc.

Underwater photography is a hole into which we throw money.

If you are only taking one or two dive trips a year and want some snaps to show the folks back home, a dslr like the 520 or 620 is probably more camera than you need. On the other hand, if you want to take great pictures and enter photo contests, the Olympus dslr's are great choices.

Ditto the advice above. I would be looking at the 620 and the Olympus housing if I were you in terms of affordability. If you decide to go this route buy the camera and housing at the same time - Oly housings seem to dissappear off the market very quickly once the camera has been out for a while. A friend of mine bought the 420 and decided to wait a few months before buying his housing and had a heck of a time finding one.

I know Olympus has the 620 Housings in stock right now...but he is right...I would say they stop making the housings about 1 to 2 years in on any of their camera. Ikelite also has them...the same for them...

I want to thank you all for your time and responses. Scuba is a bit of a money pit so why not add another? You all have been a huge help
skip

I want to thank you all for your time and responses. Scuba is a bit of a money pit so why not add another? You all have been a huge help
skip

Good attitude, but hard on the wallet!

You are most welcome. The only problem with asking us about our beloved Olympus cameras is getting us to shut up!

Dive safely, dive often!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom