Geocaching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bloor

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Have any of you ever done geocaching? And if so have you ever found any underwater?

My wife and I were considering looking into it.

Best,
Robert

I have been wondering the same thing. I plan to play with geocaching this summer and on geocaching.com it shows a cache at the bottom of a small local quarry that is not typically a dive site. the area was dug out to harvest materials to build a network of dams in town on the rivers and is mostly a fishing spot now. I was curious about diving it before I found out about the cache that is supposedly in there tho :)

SB member LindaBluedolphin took me geocaching and it was a lot of fun. You ought to PM her and ask some questions. She really knows a lot about it and is very good at it. If I had more time I think I could really get into it.

I've been contemplating placing a cache at a dive site just down the road (one of the benefits of living 15 feet from the ocean)...either that or hiding it on our shore somewhere only accessible during extremely low tide. For all the local caches around here that are above water I've needed my wife to actually find them. She usually wins those 'hidden object' games before their one hour trial period is up.

Anyway now I'm quite determined so likely by the end of the week I'll set up a cache with a medium-sized plastic container, old slate, and a five-pounder to keep it in place. More to come...

I had never heard of it until last September when my brother-in-law told me about it. I figured it was just another bit of useless information to file in my brain. Then the very next week, my son and I are diving at the Mansfield Dam on Lake Travis in Austin Texas when he signals me to look at a tackle box chained to a concrete block he's found at 75 feet down. Sure enough - its marked geocaching.com. Next time we went, we brought a few trinkets to leave in the box. Its actually a pretty fun idea, although the Tom-Tom stops working when its wet ....

hhaha ya tom tom wouldn't work to well underwater I guess.

I can't imagine somebody doesn't make an underwater GPS unit. I mean, it might not work 130 feet down on The O, but certainly on some shallower reefs or like the other poster said, quarries or springs? That'd be cool.

Robert

Not to go off-topic, since there are more than just a few underwater geocaches out there, but to respond to underwater GPS idea, unfortunately this isn't possible without a receiver at the surface. Water is too dense for satellite transmissions to penetrate. This said, it's not out of the question to find your position at the surface and simply drop down and look around... If conditions were good enough, finding your geocache probably wouldn't be too difficult!

A few weekends ago in the keys I found a statue of buddah and a statue of a cherub or something and attached was a tag labeled Flip 002 and was marked fatbastardsscuba.com. I checked it out and I guess they kind of geocache underwater. Looks like a fun bunch of goofballs nonetheless.

My wife and I both geocache, and yes, we (I) have found one underwater in Lake Travis. There are others that are so close to various bodies of water that 'sometimes,' they too are underwater.

thanks

Layne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom