Trouble accessing spg when using stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Gibson:
This was JJ's response to my question.

"This one is a tad goofy. I have found that stages and hip clips are best
placed below the gauge with the gauge on top but if I am using a leash with
multiple bottles that it is best placed at the very top. In this way the
gauge is always reachable. Other configs will work in most cases but
especially when towing a cluster of bottles it is hard to free the gauge if
you allow it to be trapped below the tow leash."

The only thing different than what I learned is the leash position for multiple bottles which seems pretty logical when you think about it. Since I have only carried one stage and immediately drop my O2 in a cave, it hasn't applied to me up to this point.

Sounds like he's saying "what works, works"

R..

Diver0001:
Sounds like he's saying "what works, works"

R..
Not really. The spg is always accessible from the top. You could clip a leash over top of it because it (the leash clip) would be pointing backwards, still leaving the spg clip open for manipulation from the "top"

Rats! And here I thought I found a way to rationalize not changing.....

R..

Diver0001:
Rats! And here I thought I found a way to rationalize not changing.....

R..
Life is never that easy.

Dan Gibson:
kids? I guess I should fill in my birthday on my profile. Actually, someone suggested it would be a topic for JJ on Quest. I just beat the other guy to it.

I figure I might try and put his suggestion to use this weekend.

Lol...you know I was just joking and playing off of Jeff's post. Look at the bright side Dan, at least I didn't refer to you as the "older generation"...so I was paying you a compliment...of sorts. :wink: Actually, I'm glad you asked the question because it was a good one and just reaffirms my training. Also, JJ said he uses the leash at times which is a contadiction to things I've heard on the Gavin List, so it was a most excellent question. :)

I happens occasionally
03.gif

boomx5:
so it was a most excellent question.
icosm14.gif

So do any of you use the plastic tubing on the leash or is it BS? A description of the size and maybe a picture would be nice. I already know about the leash GI3 has on his site that does not use the tubing. Exactly what does the tubing do? Does it prevent twisting of the leash?

tbg:
I tried using a stage bottle clipped to my left d-ring and left hip-ring, but found it difficult to get to my spg. How should the spg hose be routed in relation to the stage bottle? Anyone know of a link to a picture of how this should look?
Dir is to left hio ring. I changed for the same reason. I brought it on through and up to my left chest d-ring, at approx. arm pit level. i don't have to reach for it, fumbling with it reaching, swinging it out, around. Its there,easy to see with a glance, and looks good too! Now if you ever dive with G.I., it will be a snag point, and an increased drugster, but if your such a clutz that you snag it, don't use it! Try it, I think it will help with the handling of the sling problem.....capt tom.

Clip-off to Left Chest D-ring is another good option, either as a "training wheel" when you first take Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures for instance, or even if you have to continuously monitor the SPG "hands-free" for whatever reason. However very easy to snag though when laying out Line & penetrating a Wreck, or even just traversing through a Kelp Forest.

There's always an exception, I guess, and today it appears to be me.

For cave dives, I prefer keeping the SPG on the lowest part of the D-ring (viewed vertically), stage above that, and O2 on the top. The SPG seems to be most readily available in the lower position and the first bottle to be dropped is always easy to find because it's the highest one.

I haven't tried that on a tech dive with deco and stage bottles, but it would seem to apply there too.

The reel goes on the butt d-ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom