Trouble accessing spg when using stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dan Gibson:
I was taught in my Cave II class that the SPG was to be placed on top when in the horizontal postion. The stage in use was on the bottom and a hip clipped bottle goes in between.

This would make for good discussion on Quest to get JJ's definitive feedback globally.

Sincerely,
H2

I prefer the SPG on top. I reach back to the bottles and the stage rigging is easily felt. Push the bottles down and follow the rigging to the d-ring, go to the top clip, feel for the SPG hose to confirm.

Returning it is a simple swing back, push the bottles, hit the d-ring.

Spectre:
I prefer the SPG on top. I reach back to the bottles and the stage rigging is easily felt. Push the bottles down and follow the rigging to the d-ring, go to the top clip, feel for the SPG hose to confirm.

Returning it is a simple swing back, push the bottles, hit the d-ring.

I also prefer the SPG on top. I've tried it on bottom, but I have a harder time feeling my way around when I have 2 or more bottles clipped off.

boomx5:
I also prefer the SPG on top. I've tried it on bottom, but I have a harder time feeling my way around when I have 2 or more bottles clipped off.

When using stages I always clip mine off on the top. Do it the same way everytime and it will become second nature.

mixdiver:
When using stages I always clip mine off on the top. Do it the same way everytime and it will become second nature.

Yeah, at first it took some getting used to, but now I really don't have a problem. I think the steeper part of the learning curve was due to the thick drygloves and 39 degree water. :wink: I know people who prefer the spg on bottom, but personally though I can dive it that way, I've never really liked it there.

boomx5:
Yeah, at first it took some getting used to, but now I really don't have a problem. I think the steeper part of the learning curve was due to the thick drygloves and 39 degree water. :wink: I know people who prefer the spg on bottom, but personally though I can dive it that way, I've never really liked it there.

The water gets that cold in california. LOL. The thick gloves realy make a difference but that is the only way I get to dive. Cold quarries are the only thing in driving distance for me. The more you do it the easier it becomes. Happy diving

boomx5:
but personally though I can dive it that way, I've never really liked it there.

Yea, I agree. I often have to rearrange everything when I get in the water after getting 'help' on the boat. SPG on top, stages next, reel below. If I have my damn floaty camera, that goes above the SPG.

. . .As a last resort, break horizontal trim & get slightly vertical. Grab the neck(s) of your clipped-off stage/deco bottles with your right hand and pull them up and forward. I've got a bum left shoulder, and this method aids my range-of-motion and provides a clear path to grab the SPG from the hip D-ring.

I was taught bt David Rhea during cave II. It might be a bit different than what is taught for OW tech dives. While on a stage, there is no real reason to check the SPG of the backgas. The SPG you are interested in at the moment would be on the stage. The hip clipping is generally short lived as you drop the O2 very soon in the dive. Depending on the cave (i.e. you don't want to bang your used and bouyant stage), you would hip clip the used stage at the end of the dive when you use the O2. I haven't leashed several tanks in a cave, only for kicks in OW for practice.

Since you don't drop anything in OW, this may require a different protocol. I wouldn't have thought it would have changed, but then I haven't taken a GUE's Tech class.

HarryH97:
This would make for good discussion on Quest to get JJ's definitive feedback globally.

Sincerely,
H2

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom