Trouble accessing spg when using stage bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Spectre:
Yea, I agree. I often have to rearrange everything when I get in the water after getting 'help' on the boat. SPG on top, stages next, reel below. If I have my damn floaty camera, that goes above the SPG.

Just out of curiosity, doesn't it make it harder to remove the stage with the spg on the outside like that. Seems to me that having the spg on the bottom is easier to deal with on the whole.... Comments?

R..

Diver0001:
Just out of curiosity, doesn't it make it harder to remove the stage with the spg on the outside like that. Seems to me that having the spg on the bottom is easier to deal with on the whole.... Comments?

R..
Huh?

Remove Stage? SPG on the outside? Are we having a communication breakdown issue?

The SPG "on the top", physically means you stick your arm between your body and the stage to unhook it. If it was on the "bottom" you would have to reach around the stage or reach through the stage to get it.

Picture if you are horz...the SPG clip is on top, then the stage.

Its much easier when its on top. The only issue is that you have to push the stage away from you to get at the spg. Not a big deal...but different than not having a stage.

JeffG:
Huh?

Picture if you are horz...the SPG clip is on top, then the stage.

Ok, badly worded on my part. If you look at the D ring from top to bottom what Jeff (spectre) is saying is (from top to bottom) Camera, SPG, stage, reel.

I've been doing it stage, reel, spg. (which I described as on the inside - closest to your body). I don't carry a camera.

My reasoning is that when clipping and unclipping the spg I can use my arm to push the stage out, which pushes the D ring out and makes everything easier to reach. I got into this habit during our training when we were made to remove and re-hang stage bottles ad-infinitum (or at least until our arms hurt so bad that people started dropping them) and I just found it easier if the stage clip was on top, which is what I described as "outside".

I'm just wondering why you all (or maybe it's me) seem to be doing it differently.

R..

Diver0001:
My reasoning is that when clipping and unclipping the spg I can use my arm to push the stage out, which pushes the D ring out and makes everything easier to reach.
Well, I don't understand why Jeff (spectre) has his camera on that D-Ring anyways. (If I have one its on the left shoulder d-ring) and the reel would be somewhere else as well. IMO the left hand waist d-ring should only hold stages (deco) and/or spg's (or a leash that has bottles)
If you pushed out the stage and reach down and grab the first clip, IMO that should be the SPG (at least, to me that makes the most sense).

So if I read you correctly, you have stages on top and the spg on the bottom too.... ?

Where do you hang your reel?

R..

Diver0001:
So if I read you correctly, you have stages on top and the spg on the bottom too.... ?

Where do you hang your reel?

R..
I have no idea what is top anymore, all I know if I reach between my body and my stage, the first clip I reach will be my spg.

I don't use reels enough to be an expert, but I have used left shoulder, crotch and butt...but never the left waist. But I have no idea if its right.

JeffG:
I have no idea what is top anymore, all I know if I reach between my body and my stage, the first clip I reach will be my spg.

I don't use reels enough to be an expert, but I have used left shoulder, crotch and butt...but never the left waist. But I have no idea if its right.

I see. I think you're doing it the same way I am.

What kind of gloves are you wearing?

R..

Diver0001:
I see. I think you're doing it the same way I am.

What kind of gloves are you wearing?

R..
Dry gloves. Skaana

JeffG:
Dry gloves. Skaana

Me too. Mine are home made, though using Si-Tek rings

Spectre. What kind of gloves are you wearing?

R..

P.S. OOOHH. Just looked up skaana. That's those scary-as.s gloves that eliminate the wrist seal.....right?

Diver0001:
P.S. OOOHH. Just looked up skaana. That's those scary-as.s gloves that eliminate the wrist seal.....right?
Nope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom