Coming to Houston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sharkbaithawaii

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going to be in Houston over Xmas and was looking to get into some diving while i am there. Been certified OW for about 4 months and have a bout 60 dives. All warm water, deepest 90ft. I am looking for any kind of diving just to increase my exp.
looking forward to any help

Twin Lakes (my usual spot) is closed right now for construction but If my drysuit finally comes in and TL is open again I'll be ready to dive. Viz probably won't be good but hey it's wet.

Sharkbaithawaii:
Hey everyone,
I am going to be in Houston over Xmas and was looking to get into some diving while i am there. Been certified OW for about 4 months and have a bout 60 dives. All warm water, deepest 90ft. I am looking for any kind of diving just to increase my exp.
looking forward to any help

to live in Hawaii and come to Houston for diving.:D

The water will be upper 50's to low 60's, and the visibiity will be 5' to 20'. OK, I'm in.:wink:

We've seen two places close in the last few months so our options have narrowed. Lately, I've been going up to Blue Lagoon, which is about an hour north of Houston. The lake is alkaline and has little or no life in it, but the water is often 20' viz or more. There are lots of platforms and sunken boats.

Lake diving isn't as fun as warm water reef diving, but it will make you a better diver.

OK sounds like a plan. I also need a shop to rent gear because i am not hauling my gear all over the place. And believe it or not, most of the sites here are closed for the winter, althought we still dive every weekend, and the water is in the high 70 low 80 with vis at times up to 60-80 ft, the reef diving does get a little old. LOL

Uh, you gonna bring a 7 mil and beanie?

I spoke with the owner of Twin Lakes a week ago and he expects to be open later this month.

Ok I Live and Dive in Hawaii, why on earth would I own a 7mm or a beanie?

Sharkbaithawaii:

Uh, cuz occasionally you go diving on the mainland in mid-winter? :D

Well, if it rains for more than 10 consecutive minutes, you will be able to dive the highway underpasses. Maximum depth is only about 25 feet and you will be diving rain water, but the water temp will be great and there are usaully some good SUV swim throughs.

Sharkbaithawaii:

I lived and dove in Guam ... I wore a 3mm and hood in 85 degree water!

I wouldn't dream of diving Hawaii's cold water in my skin (much less here in Houston).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom