Fins split or paddles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've used both and wouldn't go back to paddles if you held a gun to my head. My Atomics allow me to manuver with the best of them. I dive 3 times a week with the same folks and we all have splits.........1 Atomic, 1 Tusa, 2 Apollo. I think btwn the four of us there is about 4000 dives logged. The splits must be doing something right.

Silvertip57:
I've used both and wouldn't go back to paddles if you held a gun to my head. My Atomics allow me to manuver with the best of them. I dive 3 times a week with the same folks and we all have splits.........1 Atomic, 1 Tusa, 2 Apollo. I think btwn the four of us there is about 4000 dives logged. The splits must be doing something right.

So you're telling us you can fin backwards with your atomics just as well as someone with a set of SP jet fins? :06: Please upload a video of this. I'm sure a few of us would like to see that. :wink:

This is way long, and my 2 cents probably is just redundant, but I bought TUSA zoom on the advice of my LDS, and have never had a problem. Just as a matter of discussion, I used mine got mine for my OW cert and used them only briefly before going to Hawaii. I used them snorkling almost daily. One day, there was alot of chop, and some current, nothing crazy, but I was swimming with ease. Oh yeah, I was pulling a friend of mine and we still were outswimming our other friends, me kicking with the splitfins, and them swimming arms and kicks.

Dive-aholic:
So you're telling us you can fin backwards with your atomics just as well as someone with a set of SP jet fins? :06: Please upload a video of this. I'm sure a few of us would like to see that. :wink:

I was in the pool today (all my dive buddies are out doing their own thing) and saw a pair of twin jets laying around. I strapped them on just to see what I could and couldn't do with them.

First of all, in comparison to jetfins, twin jets make you feel as if you don't even have fins on. Frog kick with them on seems to be okay but a little sluggish at first. To my surprise, back kicks are completely doable with twin jets. Again, a little sluggish and sloppy in comparison to jetfins but completely doable. Helicopter turns are also doable but far sloppier when compared to jetfins.

Overall, I would say that I was completely shocked with what I was able to do with those twin jets. Would I trade in my jetfins? No way. But certainly, I would encourage the "personal preference" divers to try to learn how to do alternative propulsion techniques in their split fins. My guess is that most will be able to do some measure of back kicks and helicopters with a little practice. It might not be adequate for diving overhead environments but completely usable in recreational environments.

If you get the chance now that you've experimented with the Twin Jets, try the Twin Speeds doing the same stuff. They are stiffer and bigger than the Twin Jets. :D

Adobo:
I was in the pool today (all my dive buddies are out doing their own thing) and saw a pair of twin jets laying around. I strapped them on just to see what I could and couldn't do with them.

First of all, in comparison to jetfins, twin jets make you feel as if you don't even have fins on. Frog kick with them on seems to be okay but a little sluggish at first. To my surprise, back kicks are completely doable with twin jets. Again, a little sluggish and sloppy in comparison to jetfins but completely doable. Helicopter turns are also doable but far sloppier when compared to jetfins.

Overall, I would say that I was completely shocked with what I was able to do with those twin jets. Would I trade in my jetfins? No way. But certainly, I would encourage the "personal preference" divers to try to learn how to do alternative propulsion techniques in their split fins. My guess is that most will be able to do some measure of back kicks and helicopters with a little practice. It might not be adequate for diving overhead environments but completely usable in recreational environments.

cfelliot:
.......Last night I took both sets of fins to the local pool to compare them. By far, I would rather use the Scubapro fins. They have a positive feel both in control and power. The Zoom fins feel like a ’73 Cadillac. I feel like the fins are controlling me and I have to constantly compensate........
Regards,
Chuck
I've never quoted my own post, but there's a reason:

Given all the accolades that splits have received in this thread, I thought I should try another set.

I got a pair of Apollo Bios and my feelings have changed. These things are awesome. Much less effort and faster. Still feel a bit sluggish, but at 53 so am I!

The only big difference I can see between the Apollo and Tusa fins is the Tusa's angle of attack???

Chuck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom