Fins split or paddles??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there some analogy between split fins' performance, speed and in current, and sport bikes? Please bear with me here as I explore this line of thinking out: Sport bikes are arguably some of the fastest vehicles on our roads, but just because they can do 170 miles per hour, does that automatically mean they'll pull a 5000 lb. trailer better than my truck?
My last truck only had 120 hp from the factory, but it was a 300 cubic inch six cylinder. Its peak torque was at 2000 RPM, and it had a good amount of it. My last sport bike came close to the hp rating of my truck, but it still wasn't meant for hauling. (The old engine adage 'There is no replacement for displacement' may apply here, but I'm still not sure)

Split fins are faster, granted, but it seems to me that the already fast kick needed for splits can't be sped up much more to counter currents. They can't be loaded, i.e. kicked with force, as their design flops over on itself like a wet noodle. Similarly, big kicks didn't seem effective during my test of them.

A paddle may not be as fast, but they can be powered, if need be, to effectively displace more water per kick in a load situation than a split (which is seemingly at its limit for normal waters). What i am claiming is that me way be looking at the displacement of water when the going gets rough. It seems to me that a large paddle would, by default, move more water, albeit slower, than a split fin. (So I guess this means a split fin aims it's lower water displacement better to use as thrust?)

In engine terms, an effective paddle (I'm thinking Jet fins here) can produce more usable torque, while a split fin may have more horsepower.

What fire hose is going to be tougher to hold steady - a small hose pushing forth a good amount of pressure, or a large hose at a moderate pressure?

I'm not claiming that I have the answer here, but I'd like some of ya to consider analogies to the split vs. paddle in current debate, as I am just as curious. In fact, I'm dead set on buying a set of split fins - probably Apollos at this point.

Personally, I'd like to test out multiple fins in an endless pool (the pools that keep water flowing). http://www.endlesspools.com/index.html

Best,

Dave

I have paddles but I used to be a swimmer so if you are used to using your whole leg as opposed to from the knee down then go with the paddles. If you are stronger in the calves than the quads then I would go with a split.

We have the scubapro twin jets and love them. I got the black ones and my husband got the blue ones (mainly so we could tell them apart). Our LDS owner didn't tell us the difference and we were to green to know but, just in case you are looking at them in particular, the black ones are negatively bouyant. I learned this by temporarily losing one over the Thunderbolt in the Keys. The blue ones, however, are positively bouyant. Hence the "Peter Pan" flying position if you go completely relaxed in the water. That being said, we love our twin jets. They work well with both my very modified frog kick and my husband's flutter. Plenty of power, speed and comfort for what we have done. I would much rather follow the 2 divers in our group with split fins rather that the one with the super long paddles! He can silt up the bottom from over 6 feet away!!

I use paddles and my husband uses splits. Why? My strength is in my legs and my husband's strength is in his upper body. The combination of splits / paddles between us keeps us about even. At least under the water. :)

Although...I'm getting older and got leg cramps the last time I went diving with him, so I might reconsider and he'll just have to kick stronger to keep up with me. (Just kidding!)

The argument I got from my shop was that split was easier (legs are moving smoother and faster) and that causes breathing to increase. I never tested it so I can't conclude but it makes sense (read torque vs HP above...) . So if you want to save you air, move slower and have some torque left for quick displacement, go with paddles. If you don't care and want to enjoing easy diving, go with split.

Somehow, the only solution is to have both (but I will stick to paddles...)

Call me old fashioned, but my vote is for paddle fins, specifically SP Jets or USD Rockets. I think splits are just a passing fad like high hair and country music.

Just show me a picture of a military combat diver in split fins and I might start believing too.

Call me old fashioned, but my vote is for paddle fins, specifically SP Jets or USD Rockets. I think splits are just a passing fad like high hair and country music.

Just show me a picture of a military combat diver in split fins and I might start believing too.

diversolo:

You may want to check with some of your friends in Coronado, Key West, and Virginia Beach, regarding Apollo bio-fins.

Ok, here's the final and all encompassing answer.

Use one of each. :D

But, then this begs another question, which foot get's which fin?

Back
Top Bottom