does having many certifications make you a better diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snuggle

Reaction score
i have read some messages on here where people have told of how many courses they have taken but does that make them a collector of cards or does it really make them better divers..

In my opinion it depends on who is teaching the classes and how willing you are to absorb the material. I've avoided some classes just because I felt that having a good dive buddy with experience would save some money to spend on certifications I really need. I suggest you think through what you want to accoplish and then interview your teachers. If you don't have a good solid dive buddy then it could be a good way to familiralize your self with diving if your new to it.

sig pretty much. If the instructor is good and the student is motivated and dedicated to really learning the material and practicing the new skills and techniques then IMHO the more cards one has the better diver that person should be. Beyond OW certification I put a lot of responsibility for learning and growth as a diver on the student.

Tough question

Doing more courses may well increase your knowledge of the theory of diving, and in so doing you may be a safer diver.

Doing more courses will give you more diving under the supervision of an experienced instructor, and in turn give you the understanding of the skills needed to become a better diver.

I believe that spending more time under water in various conditions, after being trained to dive in said conditions will lead you to becoming a better diver such as cold lakes, warm tropics, boat and shore diving.

The more diving you do the better diver you will become, but if you also do courses along the way you will no doubt become a better diver

There`s nothing wrong with collecting c-cards as long as you DIVE!
If you attend courses, learn theory, enhance skills whilst you dive between courses then you are growing in knowledge and in experience.
The bad side of c-card collectors is when they don´t do anything else than courses, not having the real experience of diving! That’s what I hate most, divers with Pro c-cards but with logbooks that show only course-dives…no real life diving experience…

"does it really make them better divers"?

No!

"does that make them a collector of cards"?

Not necessarily.

Taking courses can make one a better diver. Lots of courses are useless while others are very helpful. Some instructors are excellent, others are incompetent, some students are motivated, others are collecting cards. Get all the factors lined up properly and a class can help you become a better diver.

snuggle once bubbled...
i have read some messages on here where people have told of how many courses they have taken but does that make them a collector of cards or does it really make them better divers..
Well, it ain't likely to make 'em worse.
Rick

Just out of curiosity, which are considered worthless?

Night maybe, since that really doesn't teach very much. On the other hand, you do dive in a "new" environment under supervision and that's always a good thing if the instructor is worth anything.

IMHO, Ice is worthless cause there is no way I'll ever do that again. To much work for to little bottom time unless one splurges for a drysuit. Did mine in a 7mm, only had like ten minutes down.

Another question. Does taking a course soley for the experience and as a precursor to another level (i.E, Masters) make you a good or bad diver? if i already knew i would never Ice dive again, and yet took the course because i wanted to dive and it was Feb and it was the last i needed for Masters.

MikeSK,

Which are worthless is totally a matter of opinion. This is an area where there are frequent disagreements.

Ice is one I plan to take some day.

Night is worthless because it is covered as completely in any decent advanced course as it is in the night class.

IMHO, any Master cert that is a recognition of other courses taken is worthless. There are Master certifications that are actual courses and are excellent classes. Yours sounds like it is one I'd consider worthless, but I could just be misreading your statement.

There are lots more I consider worthless, but I'm sure I've listed them in other posts if you are interested in my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom