Rescue diver class questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

snowmaker

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to take the rescue diver class but I have a few questions/concerns. My LDS offers the class but does it over a weekend at a quarry. The entire class is during the two days. No classroom or pool time. Now I don’t think I will have a problem with the class but will I be missing out and can the class be properly taught this way. I don’t just want to walk away with the cert. I want to actually learn something.

I'm a bit concerned about the lack of classroom time. I watched the DVD and Videotape at home before the class. Watching it in class was mostly redundant. So, too was most of the lecture. But some of the practical stuff, like CPR and O2 administration and some of the EFR scenarios were most effective in the classroom. Also, being in the pool for some of the skill practice was helpful ... like when I dropped gear, it only went down 10 feet in clear water. And, as far as a quarry, until you've had to drag a buddy out of the ocean in waves and surf, you haven't lived. (Admittedly, I almost didn't live through the skill.)

BTW: A suggestion for the skills: Don't rush or you will exhaust yourself before you're done. This is especially true with things like towing.

Depends on your LDS, mine requried us to get CPR, First Aid, O2 administration & AED on our own before starting the class. That was all stuff that would have had to happen in the classroom, but I don't think my LDS was licensed to teach those when I went through. Dropping your gear in a pool must have been nice. We did ours in muck!

OK should have added that I was a lifeguard for years and an instructor for lifeguarding, CPR, First Aid, O2 and AED’s. Although the only cert. that is still current is lifeguarding. I don't see myself having a problem with the skills. At least I hope not. I guess I am just concerned about someone trying to run such a class in that manner. Makes me wonder if they are really interested in the students walking away with a real knowledge of the skills and how to put them together in real life or just selling the class and giving out certs.

Seems like they are making it easier for people to take the class which is not a bad thing. But at what cost.

Mine is going to be 5 weeks rescue and 2 weeks first response/cpr/aed....I used to be an EMT, but that expired years ago and my cpr/aed was over 2 years old...my instructor showed me in the requirements where it is to be current in the last 2 years...we will be in the pool before open water. Having not taken the course yet I can not give an honest evaluation of your circumstance but just giving you the ouline of my class for comparison.

"Mine is going to be 5 weeks rescue"

What class is this.

I think we did six pool sessions before the OW part. I would not have missed those pool sessions for anything. I think, from my other education and training, that you have to work through high-stress scenarios in a low-stress setting in order to have the responses programmed so that you can use them when the you-know-what hits the fan.

OK, so Rescue is one of the classes I really, really really want to take. Drop gear? Maybe I should know but I don't so what is it exactly? And if you have taken the class, what other things do you do? Is the class worth it? What shoudl I expect?

I would question any training at that facility. While I think you can forgoe classroom on some things...rescue should NOT be one of them. Having done rescue myself a couple weeks ago, the classroom and EFR portion was of paramount importance.

mcclete22:
OK, so Rescue is one of the classes I really, really really want to take. Drop gear? Maybe I should know but I don't so what is it exactly? And if you have taken the class, what other things do you do? Is the class worth it? What shoudl I expect?

Dropping gear is deciding what/when and more importantly WHY you are removing certain gear from yourself and/or the victim. For example, you might want to remove the weight belt to establish bouyancy in some situations...but not in others. Stuff you discuss in class. The most important thing is to stop and think about what you are doing and why. Again, stuff you discuss in class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom