NITKE HE vs. VR3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harmen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[FONT=&quot]I’m looking into tek. Diving and am trying to decide which computer to purchase. Open to suggestions, Pros and Cons???[/FONT]

Your brain and a bottom timer is a very valid option too. :)

Shallow deco vs. deep deco.
Easy 2-button program vs. more complex.
Less expensive vs. more expensive.
Open Circuit only vs. Rebreather-capable.

Not recommending either over the other, just giving some differences.

theskull

I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but if you need any other gear I would consider that first before a computer. You'll be using tables and a bottom timer for a while.

Sloop John B:
I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but if you need any other gear I would consider that first before a computer. You'll be using tables and a bottom timer for a while.

Now that entirely depends on who he gets for an instructor. He will certainly learn to use tables and a bottom timer, but may have the opportunity to use the computer as the primary source.

theskull

i'm looking for a computer more or less as a back up i'm using V planner and a bottom timer right now

Harmen:
i'm looking for a computer more or less as a back up i'm using V planner and a bottom timer right now

Original post said you were "looking into tech". So are you deco diving using tables and bottom timer having had no formal training in the practice? If so, please consider taking an appropriate class for the depths and mixes you plan to dive. There are a lot more considerations to deco diving than just how long to stay at the deco stops.

On the original question, if you want a backup to bottom timer and tables a second bottom timer would be the ideal as well as least expensive option. Those of us who use the computer as a primary device often use the bottom timer and tables as a backup to the possibility of a computer failure; and some will actually wear 2 computers for their redundant back-up.

theskull

My take on this.....I have never used a VR3 and have limited use on a NiTek He....but to let you know,,,the NiTek He is being phased out by Dive Rite. Voyages computer software that mates the He is not the best in several ways from user comments and field use by many divers....and several incidends have pointed at He concerns. I still am 'old school' and use custom cut tables and bottom timer//gage mode computer for deeper/longer TMx diving. Shallower/shorter sport type deco diving I will use at times my Dive Rite Duo computer to handle the process with table to back up the unit(s). Plan your dive and dive your plan is the very best policy....computer or tables.

I started out with the He and dived with it for several years before selling it and buying a VR3. I liked the advanced features of the VR3 like being able to access all the functions while in the water and the ability to upgrade to a rebreather interface if I ever win the lottery. I still use tables and a bottom timer as my primary deco plan but carry the computer as a back up.

I think its funny when I hear people say the VR3 is very complicated and hard to use, for a mixed gas computer its the easiest I have ever used, I have had, used: Nitek Plus, Nitek C, Nitek 3, Aladin Pro, Smart Com, Air Z, and am familiar with Nitek Duo, Vytec, and D9, and I think that the VR3 is by far the easiest to use. It did take me however sitting down and going through the manual and re learning the standard computer interface, but only becuase I was used to the niteks, going from the nitek to a VR3 was a different thought process to use the computer, after geting used to the VR3 (very fast, very easy, one dive I had it down) I find it an extremely intuitive computer, especially compaired the Nitek 3. On the nitek 3 I couldn't remember how to do a lot of the functions without having to look at the manual, hold down on a for two seconds then b, then sacrafice a chicken with in 2 seconds and turn the computer upside down to set the time, come on give me a break, on the VR3 you go setup, then time, and its MENU driven, how hard is that? Nitek 3, how did I swtich gases again, was it hold down A then B to lock for vise versa? VR3, look at the screen, its labeled with gas switch, very easy.

Now that being said I'm not knocking Nitek's, if I didn't have a VR3 on my wrist it would be a nitek as my nitek 3 is one of the best computers I have ever owned.

Don't let someone saying the VR3 is complex and hard to use scare you away, its really easy to use and very intuitive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom