Diving lessons disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could never "smear" someone or someone's business. I basically could have caused a big scene, demanded money refunded or whatever. I just am simply not that kind of person. I know when to act and when to let things go......and that's what I was supposed to do.

Thank you for the offer to come by and get pointers on mask clearing. Hey, by the way, YOU DO HAVE THE BEST REPUTATION, I have FINALLY discovered. This should make you guys feel great!

Thanks again!

Gail

seastargf:
Hello everyone.

I recently took my scuba lessons. I was the only female in a class of ten. The instructor appeared to be very "military" - styled. I could tell from the beginning he resented that fact that a female was in his class as he was very into the "guys" and gave me absolutely no "NOTHING". He had no patience with me, gave me not one word of encouragement, moved a little too quickly for me, you know.

I passed my written exam and did all my skills well the first day. The second day of the class, he told us at the beginning of the class that he would really like to get out of there early and that if we skipped lunch we might could do so. This was the day we actually took the written test and then we went to the pool. By 12:30 he was rushing us so much, everyone looked agitated.

I had problems clearing my mask (the total clear) and he suggested a "take a break". He then got the guys in the water and came and told me (with only half the second day gone) that I should come back and do individual classes to finish up and that they would cost another 50.00 an hour. He pretty much told me I should just go ahead and leave. I feel like I got short-changed on the second day. He had the rest of the day to work with me and I had paid for the entire course.

Opinions please - am I making too much of this? Anyway, I have since gone diving in Puerto Muerlos Mexico and it was fantastic. This was the third "discover scuba" dive I have done . I sure would like to get certified! Has anyone used a personal instructor to get certified?

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions!
Id say get a different instructor from the same LDS. An instructor that just "want to get out of there" is probably just interested in the money and not in the education of good divers..

Just one little observation on the mask clearing....I find it better to start exhaling through your nose BEFORE you start looking up, because if you look up without exhaling, there's a tendency for water to get in your nose, and that bothers some people, obviously. You only need to be looking up to get rid of that last 10% or so at the bottom of the mask. And you can either hold the top of the mask tightly against your face (the way the skill is usually taught) or slightly loosen the bottom of the mask (which I prefer, actually.) Either way will work, whatever way is most comfortable for you and works the best for YOU is the best way, I'd say.

Main thing is, exhale slowly & steadily through your nose as you're clearing...you're really just putting air INTO the mask, which will displace the water...no need to try to "blast" the water out of it. I guarantee your lung volume is greater than the mask volume, but if it takes you more than one breath to clear, that's okay too.

Good luck!

Ok I have made a bit of a cock up here. It hass been pointed out to me that what I wrote in a previous posting appears to be a personal attack on the instructors/LDS involved. This is by no means accurate and I wish to set the record straight.

What I meant to say was this sort of story always annoys me. My post was meant to be a generalised rant about the so called "machismo" divers that all too often invade our fantastic sport, sadly to a great degree in my native land. i hear these stories all too often.

Having re-read what I wrote, I see that it appears to be a rant at the individuals/LDS concerned. As I do not know both sides of the story, it would indeed by unfair of me to comment on individual cases, again looking at what I have written this is unclear.

I thank the chap who pm'd me for pointing out my error and I hope that all persons concerned will accept my sincere apologies. To offend was definetly not my intent.

How long ago was recent?
Had you ever tried scuba before?
Was there any assistants to help with the 10 students?
Do you know if you’re the first female the instructor has taught?
Was he inpatient with just you or the whole class?
Did you ever get in the water on the second day?

Whoa...!!
11.gif
Holy Wild Speculation Batman! I do think that's a totally unfounded suggestion.

image_05a.jpg

In Tulsa? Not according to this gentleman ... :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Some people should not teach! I would talk to the LDS and if they are worth their salt, they will take your feelings seriously and make the necessary accommodations. I find that 1 in 3 students have at least some level of apprehension regarding mask skills. It is our job as instructors to take time and have patience to help you through this process.

When my wife and I learned to dive our first instructor was a bit challenged, a nice guy but did not instill the level of confidence necessary to make us feel comfortable. Our second instructor worked with my wife with patience and encouragement and got her through the same issues you are facing. BTW, she is now an outstanding diver with over 150 dives to her credit.

Hang in there. SCUBA is fun. If you find that it is not fun, something is wrong and you need to find new people to dive with. The key word is recreational.

How long ago was recent?
Had you ever tried scuba before?
Was there any assistants to help with the 10 students?
Do you know if you’re the first female the instructor has taught?
Was he inpatient with just you or the whole class?
Did you ever get in the water on the second day?
Yeah it is tempting to question the Inst who is not involved in the discussion - but pointless. We all have different views. He may be a great Inst, a fine class, that she may have not reacted to wel. DOES NOT MATTER.

Instead, I'd like to help this lady get trained, certified, and diving.

Man, this is the type of post I hate to see. For one, I am former military. Yes, we tend to be a little rough around the edges at times. But, please don't think that all "military" - styled dive pro's are butt heads. Second, and most importantly, this instructor is the very reason our sport suffers from the attrition it does. I'll say, I've seen some students that concerned me. However, MOST of the time, they just need a little extra hand holding and they can get the skills mastered.

Don't fret the mask clearing, you'll get it with time and practice. :wink: If you really want to practice, hop in the bath tub! :D I truly hope this experience does not dissuade you from continuing on with diving. It sounds like you've gotten lots of good advice. I guess you've also learned one of the most valuable lessons about researching the instructor.

Keep going, have fun, be safe, and if you ever end up over in NWA at Beaver, hit me up, I'll dive with ya!

-Sean

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom