Diving lessons disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you thought of getting a mask with a purge valve? I use them all the time and it's a piece of cake! Just "blow your nose" and the water's gone. (Just watch out for the residue) :)

Not that it means much, but my instructor did not like that style mask. He did sell one to a student however but basically told us his opinion. I share it, that purge valve is another possible point of failure. Of course I know of nobody who's had one fail but there is always a first time.

IMO clearing with a plain mask is simple and once you figure out the mistake you're making then you'll do fine. If there was one skill in scuba that seems to drive people crazy it's mask clearing. There's a reason for it, and training to overcome it.

sweatfrog:
BTW, the offer to come back and take classes for no charge with another Instructor still stands.

A very fair offer. Honestly I'd take that route before I paid for another class elsewhere.

Sometimes in life a person just does not get along with a perfectly fine human being for no reason in particular, it just is. To me it sounds like things didn't click with you two and it escalated from there. That happens, it's human nature to become contrary when something rubs you wrong.

I've got dive buddies I sized up wrong the first time round and once we interacted more I actually got to liking them. Some occupations that deal with the public tend to instill a sizing up instinct that's pretty accurate, however sometimes it's off. I'd guess being a nurse would instill that instinct. We all have this instinct, some of us have it finely tuned and others don't. The tuning would be what our interactions are, for example a policeman will tune in on things a retailer won't, EMS sees things factory workers don't, etc. It is what drives us in our interactions no matter the root. Sometimes errors creep in clouding the judgement, and as long as we give it enough time to jell we'll figure it out.

Let's just drop this, O.K? THANKS!!!!!

I actually have done the Discover Scuba and bascially have been allowed to just do what I am comfortable doing, they just gave me a brief "book-type" lesson.

The last dive I did, the divemaster and went together, just the two of us. I enjoyed it so incredably much! I saw plenty of fish - the reason I dive - even two sharks. I felt comfortable with him, It was great.

I still will dive!!!

"LIFE IS EITHER A DARING ADVENTURE OR NOTHING." - Helen Keller

Hi Seastargf,

I wanted to point out a couple of things and i hope they aren't taken out of context. You started this thread for two reasons AFAI can tell: 1) to report a bad experience without defaming (which i think you did well not to do since you never mentioned names), and 2) to get some advice.

First of all, there's the issue of the experience; given that we now have the other side of the story - neither of which impartial observers can verify - it's a bit peculiar why you're asking to " let's just drop this", after all you started it in a public forum, shouldn't you at least attempt to bring this to some conclusion? I'm not implying anything more than that statement, just stating the fact.

As a diver, the most startling comment is that you seem to be diving without having been certified (unless i missed it somewhere). Did the advice that so many gave you work or not? If you haven't mastered mask clearing, what would you anticipate to happen if, e.g. your mask came completely off while diving?

I know this may sound a bit harsh but unless i'm taking your posts out of context it seems that instead of mastering this essential skill you moved past it; i hope i'm wrong.

As a diver, the most startling comment is that you seem to be diving without having been certified (unless i missed it somewhere). Did the advice that so many gave you work or not? If you haven't mastered mask clearing, what would you anticipate to happen if, e.g. your mask came completely off while diving?
Discover Dives are the ultimate in Trust Me dives. You trust the DM to take care of you, save you, etc. I went to 100 ft one one before I was certified. But then, we do that in taxi cabs, too. Just the environment is different.

I've known people who did only Resort courses once a year on vacation, diving with the DM for days after. I do not know the fatality rate?

DandyDon:
Discover Dives are the ultimate in Trust Me dives. You trust the DM to take care of you, save you, etc. I went to 100 ft one one before I was certified. But then, we do that in taxi cabs, too. Just the environment is different.

I've known people who did only Resort courses once a year on vacation, diving with the DM for days after. I do not know the fatality rate?

In 5 years in Cayman I only have first hand knowledge of one fatality. The guy had triple bypass 3 weeks earlier and didn't bother to mention it on the medical, the instructor had plenty of blame to shoulder as well however (didn't notice the guy not with group, not using the right waiver, medical, materials etc.)
That is with hundreds of resorts courses daily.

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to say Thanks. I have never entered a "forum" before this one. NONE of my friends are interested in diving and I really had no one to bounce this off of, so to speak.

Thanks to all of you for ALL your input. I cannot express how helpful it's been. I certainly did'nt want to get the dive shops into a battle.

It's true, a person can dive anywhere there is "discover scuba." I have done this successfully. I still plan to get certified. Everything I have learned from this discussion group, the lessons that I took and my discover scuba dives have all added to my experience.

I plan to take a trip to Florida this summer - may do everything there! ONE of my goals is getting the C-Card. The actual diving is what I dream about.

We can continue this thread, however, I'm not interested in being involved in a battle between our local shops. They both are a very important part of this community.

SEAYA!

Gail

"TRUE IMAGINATION IS NOT FANCIFUL DAYDREAMING; IT IS FIRE FROM HEAVEN." - Earnest Holmes

seathestars

they let you use a reg while mask clearing now,the problem i had when getting certified was trying to clear the mask off one breath. i had a very large volume mask,took more air than i had,finally tryed someone elses mask with a smaller volume and had no problems clearing it.

Hello everyone.

I recently took my scuba lessons. I was the only female in a class of ten. The instructor appeared to be very "military" - styled. I could tell from the beginning he resented that fact that a female was in his class as he was very into the "guys" and gave me absolutely no "NOTHING". He had no patience with me, gave me not one word of encouragement, moved a little too quickly for me, you know.

I passed my written exam and did all my skills well the first day. The second day of the class, he told us at the beginning of the class that he would really like to get out of there early and that if we skipped lunch we might could do so. This was the day we actually took the written test and then we went to the pool. By 12:30 he was rushing us so much, everyone looked agitated.

I had problems clearing my mask (the total clear) and he suggested a "take a break". He then got the guys in the water and came and told me (with only half the second day gone) that I should come back and do individual classes to finish up and that they would cost another 50.00 an hour. He pretty much told me I should just go ahead and leave. I feel like I got short-changed on the second day. He had the rest of the day to work with me and I had paid for the entire course.

Opinions please - am I making too much of this? Anyway, I have since gone diving in Puerto Muerlos Mexico and it was fantastic. This was the third "discover scuba" dive I have done . I sure would like to get certified! Has anyone used a personal instructor to get certified?

Thanks for the opinions and suggestions!
Yes i Just finished up my pool and classroom with a private instructor (SSI). I loved the attention. We were able to cover more in one class because there was no one else to help. I very much enjoyed it and would do it again

Now on to open water for my c-card!

Back
Top Bottom