hoseless computers - how do they work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sodaking663rd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i was looking to buy a wrist computer and noticed that some of them measure psi...how does this work? any recommendations on a particular model?

They use a wireless transmitter and a pressure transducer to send the pressure to the other unit.

Sorry I don't use one so I don't have any reccomendations.

Hmm, Oceanic is debuting the Datamask? in a few short months. A dive computer in your mask that you can read at all times. Seems like a great idea for tech and divers with cameras, and so on.

They don't.
Just kidding it's magic.
Ok seriously they work as stated by 1 T Submariner.
Personally I don't like them, I see them malfunction far too often. I know there will be a host of replys from people who've never had a problem, but I've seen it again and again. It only takes one time for it to fail to ruin a dive. Here's a tip if you seriously want a wireless: Buy a BCD that will be able to accept standard lpi connectors. If you have the misfortune of a failure, you can simply use someone elses (or a rental) reg.

Or carry a small backup gauge mounted to the left hip. That is what I do. Had the Oceanic mask been out when I bought my wrist computer, it is what I would have gotten. My wrist computer snags when taking my BP/W on and off. Still no way would I ever want a console in tow. I have not yet had a problem with connectivity, but know it is possible. The dive(s) will be saved by having a backup SPG.

I have the Aeris Atmos Elite and love it. When I had it wrist mounted, the only time I lost connectivity was when I would wander away from my BC on a large boat, but it would re-synch as soon as I came in range. I now have it on a retractor snapped to my right chest D-ring and have never had it lose connection. Oh, and my wife has one as well, and we have never had any cross-transmitter interference that some have mentioned.

Peter_C:
Or carry a small backup gauge mounted to the left hip. That is what I do. Had the Oceanic mask been out when I bought my wrist computer, it is what I would have gotten. My wrist computer snags when taking my BP/W on and off. Still no way would I ever want a console in tow. I have not yet had a problem with connectivity, but know it is possible. The dive(s) will be saved by having a backup SPG.

Would you really have wanted to pay the $1,500 or whatever it is they are wanting to charge for the mask???? I think I'd stick with my wrist-mounted computer...

I've used Suunto and Uwatec computers with transmitters and never had any problems with either, but I always dive with a mini-SPG clipped to my BCD, like Peter_C. That way, if the transmitter does go down, you always have a back-up.

The good thing about Uwatec is that once you link the transmitter and the computer, they are always connected until you need to change the battery in one or another. With Suunto, you have to link the two before every dive. It only takes a couple of seconds to do, but I just like not having to worry about it.

Some computers have one transmitter, some have three, and the new Uwatec Galileo Sol actually can handle four – three for you with gas mixes from 21%-100%, and one for your buddy's first stage, so you can monitor how much air they have.

Mark

MarkUK:
Would you really have wanted to pay the $1,500 or whatever it is they are wanting to charge for the mask???? I think I'd stick with my wrist-mounted computer...

I've used Suunto and Uwatec computers with transmitters and never had any problems with either, but I always dive with a mini-SPG clipped to my BCD, like Peter_C. That way, if the transmitter does go down, you always have a back-up.

Suunto charges as much or more for a wireless solution, and you don't even get a mask! :D

I think the mask idea is GREAT. So apparently do Navy Seals as it's standard equipment for them, at least as advertised. What is easier than looking at your wrist? Looking in your mask!

I'm not going to rush out and buy one, but I'd certainly not pan it just based on cost. I figured they would START at $2500, so I was actually surprised that the cost was what it is.

MarkUK:

Mark

I paid nearly that for my price locked Uwatec Smart Z wrist computer :confused: Money is not always an issue for many people. Instead functionality is more important. If I was replacing my computer, the mask integrated is what I would purchase :eyebrow:

After last weekend getting rolled in the surf though, I would worry about loosing the mask :shakehead

It is worth remembering that the HUD mask doesn't give you as much information as a full dive computer, so you are still going to need one of them as well. That is why I think it is over-priced. You are going to have to buy one and a computer...

I realise money is no object to some people, but until they integrate a full dive computer into a mask and make it genuinely 'head's up' – instead of it being a little screen in the bottom right hand side of the mask, as this one is – then I'd give it a miss. I also found the mask quite heavy on the right hand side because of the battery and the screen unit. I'll wait to give my full opinion for when I've dived with it in open water, but you do lose a lot of peripheral vision to your right.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom