So, tell me about fins . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Puffer Fish has it right. I don't use splits, but I recognise that they offer speed (example: Apollo Bio Fins Pro). For a solid fin try the Mares Quattro Excel Fins. Jet Fins are slooooooow...

OK so the March 2007 issue of DIVE magazine gives the Scubapro Kinetix fins a 10/10 and basically says they are the greatest thing ever.

Anyone own or tried these? I don't even know if they are available in the states.

I agree Puffer Fish...The frog kick is definitely not the fastest, but I have found that it saves me a bunch of energy...

SparticleBrane:
The next question is--how did you know it was a 1.5 knot current? Was this just an estimate? If not, how was it measured?

There are current measuring devices you can purchase for the paltry sum of about $40,000:) So it is an estimate...It is knowledge passed down to divers from generation to generation...You learn to estimate from someone who learned, from someone....

IMHO...I think the best fin on the market today is the Omega Amphibian...I can't wait to witness someone walking around in these fins...And at about $290, they are a great buy. Maybe they should call them the Omega erection:wink:

And what do you base the estimate on? "Oh...that looks like 1.5 knots?" You need to use something more reliable than that! :wink:

6-second rule for estimating current:
"Current speed (in knots) can be estimated by determining the distance an object travels (in feet) in 6 seconds, divided by 10."

Example:
If the distance a piece of seaweed floating on the surface in 6 seconds was 7 ft: 7/10 = 0.7 = 0.7 knots.

Basis:
One nautical mile = 6,076.11549 ft. Let's round that down to 6,000ft for ease of computation.
If something travels ~6,000ft in one hour, then it was moving at approximately 1 knot, yes? Now just use math:
6000ft/hour = 100ft/min = 10ft every 6 seconds. 10/10 = 1 knot. :)

serambin:
On a recent trip, I found myself in a current of about 1.5 knots. This took an extra kick to over come, so my thoughts went to better fins (as opposed to better conditioning or strength training). I use a pair of Tusa Liberator fins. What about split fins or rocket fins or CO2 powered fins (or even nuclear powered fins)? Is this an area worth looking at?

Stan
Split fins wont take you anywhere against a tough current, also if u ever use them remember to do small and fast kicks.

Ahh the great fin debate! Again....

I recently discovered I like Jet Fins, except they just don't fit my foot all that great. Not like my biofins. I'd buy a pair if the foot pockets did not feel so sloppy while actually being cramped.

I have been in some very strong currents using BioFins. They may flop around more than non-splits, but they work very well in current.

Fins are a personal choice that every diver must make! That is unless you want to take GUE classes, and if that is the case, don't expect to get in with splits! :11:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SparticleBrane:
And what do you base the estimate on? "Oh...that looks like 1.5 knots?" You need to use something more reliable than that!

6-second rule for estimating current:
"Current speed (in knots) can be estimated by determining the distance an object travels (in feet) in 6 seconds, divided by 10."

Example:
If the distance a piece of seaweed floating on the surface in 6 seconds was 7 ft: 7/10 = 0.7 = 0.7 knots.

Basis:
One nautical mile = 6,076.11549 ft. Let's round that down to 6,000ft for ease of computation.
If something travels ~6,000ft in one hour, then it was moving at approximately 1 knot, yes? Now just use math:
6000ft/hour = 100ft/min = 10ft every 6 seconds. 10/10 = 1 knot

I would use the term "feels" like. But I will make sure I look for some seaweed next time I go diving. Hey John...Would you please chunk me a piece of that seaweed over there so I can measure how many knots the current is. And no you don't need anything more "reliable than that." A diver who has had alot of experience diving in currents will come pretty close...Many times there is just no seaweed:wink:

SP Jets.

No seaweed? Toss something that floats into the water--a stick, perhaps.

i have had the same pair of jets for 28 years,wished all my other gear would hold up the same,just bought some turtles,needed the xtra room for thick boots,they are more comfortable but dont have quite as much punch as the jets,little more flexible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom