So, tell me about fins . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serambin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
On a recent trip, I found myself in a current of about 1.5 knots. This took an extra kick to over come, so my thoughts went to better fins (as opposed to better conditioning or strength training). I use a pair of Tusa Liberator fins. What about split fins or rocket fins or CO2 powered fins (or even nuclear powered fins)? Is this an area worth looking at?

Stan

IMO, if you cant go fast enough with a pair of Jet Fins and a frog kick, you should use a scooter. lol, but some people say that splits let you go faster with less energy although some say otherwise. Try anything and everything that you can. Youll eventually find the right fin. CO2? Havent heard of anything about that, but have seen some small torpedo looking thats that you strap to your leg (I think they were at dema) Nuclear powered fins...:bomb:

Jet fins. That is all.

In all seriousness, choosing a fin is an intensely personal choice. I prefer a non-split fin because of the ability to fin precisely (and backwards), and split fins just didn't offer that to me. I also HIGHLY recommend spring straps -- they don't break, they hold your fins on well, and they are easy don and doff. I do dive with jet fins - they're cheap, reliable, and they've been around for almost half a century -- they must do something right...

I've seen broken spring straps.

If you want to move in current get some freediving fins (the long kind). The cons would be that they are usually only full foot fins- which are more comfortable plus let you get a more efficient kick- but of course that limits you to warm water. Also if physical training is one of your concerns than I'm assuming you're not in peak physical shape (no offense) so a free diving fin might be prone to giving you cramps.

One thing for sure I would recommend against split fins in current. See if you can rent different kinds on your next dive excursion and test them out. You're sure to find one you like that way.

A 1.5 knot current will make you work. My splits take less effort, which might help on the endurance side. I have not tried them in current, but have heard they were both better or worse.

I think the solid fins give you some more control options that give them an edge in surge.

I have Jets and Splits. I like the splits when there is no need for power. (Like a pool yesterday) I like the power/responsiveness of the jets. I have more dives in the splits. This year I am going to dive the jets more.

Like Steve said, a 1.5 knot current isn't a walk in the park. Someone mentioned the frog kick...try that. It works very well with me when I'm in a strong current. As far as splits...borrow a pair and dive with them in a 1.5 knot current...

The 2 most popular fins on this site are the scuba pro twin jet fins & Apollo bio fins. I have the latter and am very pleased with them. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either of these fins.

There are a fair number of studies out there on what is the best fin and best kick and what the maximum speed is...

Depending on your size and strength, if you learn to use them correctly, nothing beats the best split fins.

Oh, and a frog kick is no where near the fastest kick...

But, at 1.5 knots, you might consider a scooter...

The next question is--how did you know it was a 1.5 knot current? Was this just an estimate? If not, how was it measured?

For me--ScubaPro JetFins. $65 at LeisurePro. Nothing else. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom